Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Period Symptoms and Bleed whilst on Dydrogesterone part of Femoston 1/10  (Read 1028 times)

DebsMK

I've been on Femoston 1/10 since I was 54 (I'm now 58).  Apart from a brief 6 months of taking Femoston 2/10 when some symptoms returned, everything has been relatively ok.  Recently however, I have had spotting when taking the dydrogesterone, but this month have had premenstrual symptoms such as painful breasts, tummy aches and headaches culminating in a bleed after the first week of taking it.  Has anyone else suffered with this?  Do I need to change HRT, the dose or type of HRT?  My GP is and always has been, totally useless and always urging me to come off HRT so I thought I'd try you lovely ladies before going for my usual fight and disappointment!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by DebsMK »

Hurdity

It might be that the way you absorb the hormones through your digestive system and metabolise it through the liver has changed breifly or temporarily. Did you have any sort of digestive upset that might have affected this while on the dydrogesterone phase? A paper I read on how these hormones are processed mentions diet, alcohol and drug consumption, as well as smoking, physical activity and stress potentially causing rapid changes in absorption and metabolism. If the amount of progestogen dropped partway through the month - that would be sufficient to result in the tell-tale pms signs of progesterone withdrawal and triggering a bleed.  Presuming you are post-menopausal by now too as a late ovulation could have the same effect?

Hurdity x

DebsMK

Thank you for replying Hurdity. I have actually just had a digestive upset, so I suspect you are right and this may be something to do with it.  As the spotting has happened over the last few months I guess there may also be something happening with absorption.  Maybe it's time to try the gel.  I was having regular periods at 54 when I started Femoston and I haven't stopped it to find out if I am post-menopausal, I just assumed at my age I was!