Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Excersize is necessary  (Read 691 times)

Sickntired

Excersize is necessary
« on: May 16, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »

Excersize improves the efficiency of muscle protein synthesis in older adults .  In other words girls,  use it, or lose it.

https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/040715p16.shtml

I was looking at this article as unsure if I needed protein shakes that my friends take since marathon training.  Turns out I do . Esp if vegetarian.   I keep seeing advice for us at this time to do "gentle " excersize.  I agree with knowing your body and pain , injury and excersize being a chore is not a good thing.  However we should be building muscle,  getting aerobic excersize,  strengthen heart and lungs , build stamina, all things that stand us in good stead.   To that end I don't agree with the word gentle , to me it implies not enough effort to raise a sweat which is what's basically required .  I'm really glad there's an instructor on the site now . Do your future old self a favour start that excersize of any kind today and life in 20 years will be a darn site easier.

Shadyglade

Re: Excersize is necessary
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »

We loose coordination and balance, when we get older too.  Exercise like Tai Chi is particularly good in that aspect.

Speaking personally vigorous exercise has never been my choice. Walking and Tai Chi suits me better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Excersize is necessary
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »

Vigourous exercise - gave that up after I stopped running after the man who became my husband  ;).  However, I did ballet from 8-18, we cycled everywhere, walked to/from school, ate freshly prepared foods in season.  Now I read that schools are cutting back on play-time  :o which surely will impact later on  :-\.  We skipped, played hop-scotch, ran around; holla hoop anyone?  Anything to get kids off those gadget things!

We are hunter gatherers so would mooch around with the occasional burst of speed to catch food or run from it  :o.  It has been shown in recent weeks, what I have said for years: jogging and running is bad for humans : X-rays of professional sports persons are showing exactly the damage done to joints !  But too much sedentary work isn't good either. 

Swimming is good as it's non-weight bearing.  Stimulating if one wild swims.  Cycling is good over-all as long as one has roads without pot holes!  I prefer to be alone but these park-runs etc. are getting people together ........ which must be good for mental health. 

As for various 'shakes', I think in general they are good if used appropriately.  Certainly pro-cyclists seem to benefit and I have discussed same with the cycling shops in our area but I don't need them as I have a good diet and exercise gently.  Keeping hydrated is a good idea in general. 

It is noted by a Consultant for the elderly [in geriatric medicine] that people living in the care system tend to be less active, both physically and mentally  :-\ and they would benefit from more things to do that get them moving.  To this end I think that every Care 'home' regardless of how it's funded should have a full-time physio. who isn't a carer.  Where Mum is the carer gets residents started on morning activities but has to go away sometimes to assist.

I wonder if these shakes should be *can't remember the word* ? formulated ? for the elderly. 

Have you decided what to try, let us know?