Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Manchester police go off sick with menopause related illness- legal precedent?  (Read 744 times)

pepperminty

Hi ladies , on BBC breakfast I just saw that they are now training officres about the menopause and have a ploicy where women can go off with menopause rlated illness - she just said like pregnancy related illness. I know that companies have to be careful when ladies go off sick in pregnancy and cannot sack/ get rid of the employee as it would be seen as discriminatory etc- so employers are very careful.

Par of the reason I am afraid to try another HRT is because the likelyhood of being sacked/ loosing my job is high if I am off sick. I wonder if this will start a legal precedent ?

Peppermintyx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Morning!  Is there a Union Rep where you work?  A Health Nurse?  For Companies employing over 250 people they have to have access to a Health Professional or time off allowed.  There has to be a period of discussion about time off, should be in your Contract. 

'illness' can be mis-interpreted I've found  :-\

sheila99

It might be worth looking up the laws relating to this. If you're a permanent employee you should be in a better position than a contractor. Any changes in the law will be too late for us. You could argue sex discrimination but if you've already been sacked it may not help. Agree union rep or company nurse would be a good place to start if you have them, and your contract should mention sick leave.

pepperminty

Many ladies on here face the prospect of loosing thier job due to the menopause. It is the lower managers who are clueless and esculate you up the sickness ladder, even when you have a disability. I am just hoping that this may help others. We have occupational health.

PMX