Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Lichen Sclerosis  (Read 1549 times)

chrissyg

Lichen Sclerosis
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »

Hi everyone

I have been diagnosed with LS, I would be so grateful if anyone can help to share and shed some light as much as it is embarrassing.
I have Diabetes Type 2 ( 11 years), urine incontinence prior to my diabetes diagnosis, arthritis in nape and hip, sinustisitis & flu-like symptoms
I have been prescribed Diprosone
It will be 2 weeks since my diagnosis and I will see my doctor next Tue where to go from here. Being proactive have lined up appointments to see Gyno, Vulvar Dermotologist & Dietitian. Change my diet to low oxalate

Thank you for your time.
Chrissy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lichen Sclerosis
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »

Morning!   There are a few mentions of LS here, maybe put it into the search box to see who pops up?

I would suggest that you make notes of your queries and jot down suggestions at each appt.. 

Your Diabetic Nurse should have arranged for your incontinence to be discussed with the appropriate dept., there is a phrase that won't come to mind right now ....... i.e. 'you have a right to be dry' . 

Let us know how you get on!

racjen

Re: Lichen Sclerosis
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »

Hi chrissyg,

I have LS, was diagnosed by biopsy about 8 years ago aged 45. I was lucky that my GP recognised my symptoms of unbearable itching and vulval skin whitening immediately, and referred me to the Women's Clinic at the local hospital. I was horrified at first, having read so many horror stories on the web, but I used Dermovate ointment on a regular basis, initially on a weekly and then fortnightly basis and it really helped a lot.

3 years ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I had to take high dose steroids before every chemo treatment - although the whole experience was awful, the steroids appear to have calmed the whole LS thing down enormously, I haven't had to use Dermovate since then. I'm not suggesting you try and get your hands on systemic steroids, but just that the low dose of steroids in Dermovate can really help and are not something to be scared of. I think it depends a lot on how quickly you get diagnosed - I was lucky, I was diagnosed early enough that very little permanent damage had been done. Hopefully the team you've got lined up will sort you out with a good regime for managing it. It really doesn't have to be a big deal as long as you find some kind of regular treatment that works for you.