Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vagifem update  (Read 1216 times)

Loopsie

Vagifem update
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »

Hi,
I have now been on Vagifem for 11 weeks and taking the twice weekly dose.  I took the advice from everyone and have been trying the natural moisturisers like Yes but found this stung on application.  I did wonder if it stung because my skin was completely dry.  As I was having a slight ****ly pain towards the end of passing urine I thought maybe this was why I was still sore externally - could my urine be causing the sore red patches?  I was told I did not have a water infection.  I now have one particular patch which is extremely red and sore and don't know what to do.  I feel like screaming!  I have tried washing in aqueous which works for a bit but then soreness returns.  I don't think it helps that menopause symptoms seem to be getting worse my sleep is broken and some days I feel I am just on auto pilot and my emotions are shot I just want to cry most days but I think this is down to being fed up with the constant  soreness.  Best times I find are the evening when I don't have to move around too much.  Is there anyone out there that can relate to this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem update
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:31:44 PM »

Go back to using Vagifem every night until that area of soreness eases, also I find that KY Jelly helps.

VA needs constant mindfulness, it is a really small amount - maybe put a dose in now and then this evening in bed and continue nightly?

suzysunday

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »

It's horrible feeling sore and it really gets you down. Maybe you could try zinc and castor oil cream, the stuff they use on babies, Boots brand I used.  My gp suggested it for soreness round the clitoris. It's a bit messy but I used it liberally and it's quite soothing. It's worth a try maybe.  I had problems with Yes stinging.  Hope things settle down for you.

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

Hi Loopsie, I can totally relate! Agree about evenings being better, as there's no walking about and hence no friction.

It seems two Vagifem a week is not enough for you. At a recent meeting the British Menopause Society recommended using every other day, up to five a week. Many need it daily. Have you considered adding either Ovestin or Estriol Cream for external use?

Regarding washing with aqueous cream, I don't think it is suitable for the vulval area as it contains SLS, a known irritant. Indeed, dermatologists no longer recommend it for any skin condition. Just rinse the area with plain water.

I guess the Yes VM might sting a bit if you are very dry at the moment. Maybe increase the Vagifem so that the tissues can improve and then  have another go with the Yes VM, it is very good. In the meantime, as your urine is causing stinging, Yes Oil Based would be a better bet as it would create a barrier against contact. Another thing that creates quite a good barrier is Hydromol ointment. Boots sell it in small tubs.

It can take quite a while to get things under control and to find a routine that works for you. With suitable treatment you will get there in the end. As CLKD often says, the body doesn't get where it is suddenly, so as oestrogen declines these things can jump out and bite us on the bum.

JP x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »

I have never managed my VA on twice a week, try fives times a week as that is the equivalent old dose.
Also just wash in warm water and leave of all moisturisers, I don't use them as I have always got irritation from them.