Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Still feeling hormonal, can anyone advise..?  (Read 758 times)

Jeps

Still feeling hormonal, can anyone advise..?
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »

Hi

I've been on Estrogel for the last 4 weeks, having tried the patches for 3 months and then pills for three months.  I'm just having the withdrawal bleed now having taken the progesterone tablets and I feel so emotional again.  Crying at the drop of a hat, getting cross about silly things, waking up in the night again.  I've been prescribed one pump, but the doctor did say I could up it to two if I wanted.

Does the HRT ever really get rid of these emotional feelings? Do you think upping the dose will help?  Is it normal to get PMT still with a so called withdrawal bleed?  I so hope someone can help as I'm feeling bit desperate with the whole thing now.  Patches gave me a rash, pills gave me awful headaches and exhaustion and now the dreaded anxious/emotional stuff has come back on the gel.  Or do I need to give the gel more time?

Thank you in advance..
Jxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Still feeling hormonal, can anyone advise..?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

I'm afraid a bit of PMT is quite normal on any HRT - it tends to be the withdrawal of the progesterone that causes this although some find they feel low all the way through taking progesterone. No HRT is going to make you feel good every day but if you are gettgi fewer hot flushes, sleeping better and general feeling better that when you were not on HRT then 2-3 days fo feeling a bit  ‘rubbish' is a price worth paying.
You could try having a Mirena fitted which means less progesterone is absorbed systemically and means there aren't the fluctuations when taking and then withdrawing the progesterone orally or via patch? The Mirena can be used in peri and post meno and means you can use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to keep meno symptoms under control. 

I don't think it is the gel giving the problems - I think it is the progesterone. DG x

Jeps

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:06:36 AM »

Thank you!  That makes sense actually and maybe I will ask about the coil.  I didn't notice feeling quite this hormonal on the patches or pills, so perhaps it's this particular progesterone that isn't so good for me.  Bloody hormones! :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »

It might be useful to keep a diary so you can look back and see if it correlates with the prog phase. One pump is a low dose, I started on two (in peri) so it may that you will need to increase this. Better to change one thing at a time though so you can see the results of each change. If you're in peri you're own hormones may be making things worse. I get tired on utro, not too bad when my body isn't contributing but when it is I can hardly function.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »

Just to add it took three months for my anxiety to go.