Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Day 2 of switch to Oestrogel- Is it normal to feel this awful?  (Read 818 times)

PeriPagan

So, I started my new oestrogen regime (1mg Elleste solo to 1.5mg Oestrodose) yesterday and I seem to be back in hormone hell.

Put my 2 pumps on in the morning, felt OK for the first 8 hours then slowly turned into a hot mess of severe mood swings. Slightest things /thoughts have me either sobbing my heart out or flying into a rage again. Broke a plastic jug yesterday as I flung it across the room because it had the 'temerity' to fall out of a cupboard! I use cerazette on a conti basis (considered utro but it'll give me no relief from severe bleeds and cramps which causes me PTSD & although i'm progesterone intolerant I'd adjusted well to levo types enough to keep taking it for 9yrs!) so essentially I currently read as a peri+PMT raddled nightmare after the pre-period oestrogen drop. High progesterone- low oestrogen. Double whammy!

Had about 4 hours sleep. Was OK until My brain started having weird nonsense thoughts. Now i'm utterly terrified of a visit from the intrusive/s*****al thoughts fairy as drops in my oestrogen levels usually cause her to come and smack me repeatedly with the 'disgusting thoughts & urges' juggernaut! My anxiety has also increased, not badly but it spikes easily.

This also means that I'm scared I'm not absorbing the dose. I use a lotion with a high emulsifying wax content that's the very devil to shift. I wash the area with a gentle soap (No SLS or anything harsh). I've noticed that I also have a vague soreness under the skin in the site i'm applying it on. Has anyone else had this? I'm hoping its a positive sign that the oestrogen is getting into my skin.

Is this a normal reaction to starting a new delivery method? Is this just a case of my body is having a freak out because I a) need to build a loading dose in my skin etc.  & b) It doesn't know what to do with the increased dose yet and needs time to adjust. 

I noticed an improvement in my mood about an hour after application but I'd spent that last hour sobbing to my father on the phone so can't be 100% sure its the meds?

Anyone? 

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Day 2 of switch to Oestrogel- Is it normal to feel this awful?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »

Sorry you feel so rubbish PeriPagan. Maybe you're not absorbing it well but it's far too early to tell. Oestrogel just didn't work for me. I persevered for a couple of months but I had a terrible unsightly rash on my arms and inner thighs. Obviously allergic to something in it.
I also had some horrible, intense dreams when I was using it but this may have been the Utrogestan I was prescribed to use alongside it. Switching to patches and eventually vaginal use of Utrogestan has helped but not to the extent that I thought it would.
I'd give the Oestrogel some time but it may just not be right for you. It's difficult to know what to do isn't it? X