Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Abnormal smear Hpv and low grade dyskaryosis  (Read 1691 times)

discokaren

Abnormal smear Hpv and low grade dyskaryosis
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »

Please help, has anyone ever had this because its absolutely terrifying me. can't get  a colposcopy appointment until June . People keep saying it's not cancer just cell changes, but I keep thinking what if it is when I have the colposcopy and they find it's worse than they thought......health anxiety is through the roof....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:19:20 PM by discokaren »

Kathleen

Re: Abnormal smear Hpv and low grade dyskaryosis
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »

Hello discokaren.

I'm so sorry that you are in this position and you have my sympathy.

I am 62 now but in my twenties my smear showed abnormal cells and I was supposed to have a follow up examination after six months. Unfortunately the message never reached me or my GP so I was unaware of the results and wasn't called back. Luckily over the years all subsequent smears were normal. When I saw my medical records recently and noticed the error I was told that women often have cell changes that resolve on their own and that is clearly what happened in my case.  I hope my story reassures you and that you can stop worrying although I realise how difficult that is.

Take care and sending hugs.

K.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »

Hi,
I had a seriously abnormal smear in my 30s, CIN 2 or 3 even.  I too worried sick and had to have colposcopy etc,  my consultant told me it wasn't cancer ( he should me a chart showing all the various stages ) and quite often even seriously abnormal cells would return to normal but as they don't know which ones will and which ones don't, they zap them.
I had no abnormal smears after x

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »

I know you won't stop worrying but like the two ladies before me, I also had an abnormal smear,apparently it can be down to other innocent factors,had another smear a few weeks later and it was normal,don't concentrate on the word “abnormal “ too much,it definitely DOES NOT always mean anything sinister.