Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan dosage and method  (Read 936 times)

Karen P

• First Flush
Utrogestan dosage and method
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »

Hi Ladies
I have been on HRT for 3 months now, Evorel25 and Utrogestan 100, days 1-25. Feeling much better but rather sedated, wasn't sleeping well at all before, now could hang on a washing line and sleep. Reading through lots of advice on here, it would seem the Utrogestan may be causing this. I'm taking it orally at the moment, I wondered if anyone had any advice on using it vaginally and perhaps cutting it down to every other day as it would be getting to destination directly, and if this may reduce the sedated feeling. I'm 4 years post meno, and the low dose Evorel patch has sorted the hot flushes ok, so wondered if it was safe to take less progesterone?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan dosage and method
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »

Hi KarenP

As you are on a low dose oestrogen patch and if you are post-menopausal and otherwise healthy it may well be OK for you to take less progesterone. However everyone's uterus reacts differently and there may be issues ( eg small fibroids, or past endometriosis) which make this unwise.

Used vaginally there are fewer of some side effects but actually more is absorbed systemically than the same dose used orally. However if used at a lower dose, more gets to the uterus where it is needed so lower doses may be more effective ( research shows) and therefore compared to oral use there may well be fewer side effects if you take less.

The sleepiness is due to progesterone whether taken orally or vaginally.

You will need to speak to your doc and hopefully begin a trial of alternate day vaginal progesterone? I posted some studies on a new thread about this. Should be done under medical supervision and if you can afford it get a private scan once a year to check your endometrium. otherwise try to persuade your doc!

Hurdity x