Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to HRT - Evorel 50, Femoston Conti and Progynova  (Read 1713 times)

Debster55

New to HRT - Evorel 50, Femoston Conti and Progynova
« on: May 05, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »

Hi - New to this Forum so sorry if I have posted in wrong place.   I'm 55 this year.   I was on Cerezette for 10 years until 48 and didnt have periods so unsure about dates for  menopause.    After having hot sweats, low mood, low libido; anxiety, sleep problems, exhaustion not to mention aching joints for at least a year, I sought out (privately as own GP admitted he had limited knowledge and understanding of HRT) and have recently (March) been prescribed HRT - started on low dose Femoston Conti 0.5/2.5mg with Everol 25 patch.   After a month with no real change, save for slightly fewer aches, was prescribed same Femoston Conti, higher Everol 50 patch plus 1mg Progynova for additional oestrogen.     GP has thankfully agreed to prescribe the HRT, but he wondered if the meds could be combined so it was suggested (private doc) that I continue with the 50 patches but move from Femoston & Progynova to Kliofem which has 2mg oestradiol plus continuous norethisterone.   
I'm really not sure whether to go down this route as I've heard Kliofem may be hard to get hold of and going forward, I dont really want to change back if I cant get hold of them in the future.   Alternatively private doc said I could stay with the 50 patches and take 2 x Femoston Conti = 1/5mg daily.     I think I would prefer this but my head is spinning now, especially as within the last week, I have been getting a sharp pain in my lower left side (feels like my ovary), not continuously but enough for me to write this.     I know I havent been on HRT long but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.   
Thank you in advance

sheila99

Re: New to HRT - Evorel 50, Femoston Conti and Progynova
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »

It seems very odd you have been prescribed so many different brands, usually you would have only one, or two if you have one for oestrogen with a separate progesterone. I can't think why you would want to combine them. I was prescribed everel 50 in peri as a sequi (2 weeks everel 50, 2 weeks conti patches which include prog) . If you're meno you can have it as everel conti so you have continuous prog and no bleed. My flushes went within a couple of weeks but anxiety and insomnia took nearly 3 months. They say you should use it for 3 months before you know if it's working. Can't help on the pain.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »

Hi Debster55

Are you UK based?  What you are being given doesn't sound typical for meno treatment here in the UK!

Here is a link to the HRT options for post menopause.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Do look under TREATMENTS on this site to get more clued up on you options.
There already is Femoston 1/5 so you shouldn't need to double up on your existing Femoston.

I also don't understand why you need such a complicated HRT regime!!??
You could simply use Oestrogen as gel or patch at the level you need and then have Utrogestan or Provera alongside to protect the womb lining. Using Oestrogen transdermally is often more effective and a 50mg patch is still only medium dose.   You could also have a Mirena fitted and have oestrogen as gel or patch with this - this is a good, no bleed, low hassle option as the Mirena allows you to use as little or as much oestrogen as you need.
Do browse around the site to learn more and get back to us with questions.  DG x

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »

Hi - New to this Forum so sorry if I have posted in wrong place.   I'm 55 this year.   I was on Cerezette for 10 years until 48 and didnt have periods so unsure about dates for  menopause.    After having hot sweats, low mood, low libido; anxiety, sleep problems, exhaustion not to mention aching joints for at least a year, I sought out (privately as own GP admitted he had limited knowledge and understanding of HRT) and have recently (March) been prescribed HRT - started on low dose Femoston Conti 0.5/2.5mg with Everol 25 patch.   After a month with no real change, save for slightly fewer aches, was prescribed same Femoston Conti, higher Everol 50 patch plus 1mg Progynova for additional oestrogen.     GP has thankfully agreed to prescribe the HRT, but he wondered if the meds could be combined so it was suggested (private doc) that I continue with the 50 patches but move from Femoston & Progynova to Kliofem which has 2mg oestradiol plus continuous norethisterone.   
I'm really not sure whether to go down this route as I've heard Kliofem may be hard to get hold of and going forward, I dont really want to change back if I cant get hold of them in the future.   Alternatively private doc said I could stay with the 50 patches and take 2 x Femoston Conti = 1/5mg daily.     I think I would prefer this but my head is spinning now, especially as within the last week, I have been getting a sharp pain in my lower left side (feels like my ovary), not continuously but enough for me to write this.     I know I havent been on HRT long but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.   
Thank you in advance
I know less about HRT taken when still in peri but it also sound odd to me that you are taking as many. I have just started HRT but am only using Evorel Conti patches. I would be reluctant to combine several as I wouldn't know which was working for me/causing any ill effects. I haven't had any side effects yet except just possibly yesterday. I realised that I had forgotten to apply a new patch in the morning. Later in the day I felt slight stomach discomfort and a bit achy and hot. it disappeared once I had applied the half patch but that might be a coincidence.