Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Benefits of Testosterone  (Read 1215 times)

Rosie63

Benefits of Testosterone
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:02:22 PM »

Hi again ladies.  I was just reading through some threads to try to find some info. on aching joints.  Mine are really painful at the moment.  I was thinking that I might not be on a high enough dose of estrogen but then I came across something that had been written about testosterone being prescribed for achy joints.

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this please?

Thank you.

Rosie63 x

Hurdity

Re: Benefits of Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »

Hi Rosie63

Sorry to hear about your painful joints.

I don't think testosterone would be prescribed for this purpose. According to the NICE Guidelines it can be prescribed off-licence for low libido if the doc is willing (with gel testosterone products that are produced for men) - and many women find they have this symptom along with lethargy, fatigue and especially muscle aches and pains after exercise. If this sounds like you and your oestrogen dose is medium and your other symptoms (flushes, sweats, mood etc) are controlled it might be worth exploring?

I can't remember what oestrogen type or dose you are taking - and I think you are taking continuous progesterone of some sort?

Have you had any specific medical investigations for your achey joints - could it be arthritis or something similar?

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hurdity x

Rosie63

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  I've just recently changed from Estradot and Utrogestan to Fem conti 1/5 - just finishing first month.  I do have arthritis in one of my knees but these aches are different and my muscles are sore. This along with the constant tiredness and headache makes me feel it's hormonal.  Thank goodness my mood's not too bad, otherwise I'd be in a right old state ! I don't suffer with flushes or sweats, so that's another good thing.  I have a telephone call with gp on Friday to discuss some recent blood tests so I might mention to her then.

Thanks again for your advice Hurdity.

Rosie x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »

I'm afraid to say the constant headache and tiredness etc could be a symptom of the continuous progestogen if you are sensitive? Maybe give it a couple of months longer ie the full 3 months and possibly have a rethink if it;s still bad. I may have said before but if you are taking oral oestrogen this is known to raise SHBG which binds free tesosterone making it unavailable - so your T levels might have reduced due to your change to tablet HRT. That being the case then going back to transdermal might reverse this for starters?

Hurdity x

Rosie63

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »

Thanks again Hurdity.  It's all so complex isn't it 😏.

Rosie x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 09:09:21 PM »

I believe it is supposed to help with muscle tone. I had aching hips, felt like tendon/ligament rather than inside the joint and has improved since taking it. I was only prescribed it for libido, I wouldn't have got it for muscles. I also pulled muscles too easily and this has improved too. Also improved pelvic floor which I hadn't expected. Perhaps you should see your gp, there may be something else going on with your joints.

Rosie63

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply Sheila99.  I'll mention it to the GP when I speak with her on Friday. 

Rosie63 x

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »

My joint problems were due to low oestrogen, when I got that right they got better and I had actually been previously diagnosed with fibromyalgia! which it obviously wasn't!  ::)  When I got testosterone, it helped with my brain fog and it was really noticeable for me.  It also helped with muscle weakness...my limbs feeling a bit powerless is what I would describe...not much gumption and it helped a little bit with energy.  It didn't have much impact on my libido immediately but I think it has helped with my responses not my actual desire.  It's like any of the other hormones, what it does for one women, it may not do for another...you just have to try.

Rosie63

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »

Thanks Ladybt. That's very interesting because I still do think it's a hormone imbalance that's causing it.  I might have to change regime I think because I think I might need the oestrogen to try to control symptoms but don't want to take more progesterone because I think that's causing the tiredness and spaced out feeling.  I'm hoping to get a referral to a meno clinic when I speak to GP on Friday as this has been going on for nearly 2 years now  :(

Thanks again.

Rosie x

Sooze

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »

Rosie63
I was effectively prescribed Testosterone for libido but it also sorted my joints (mainly hips & knees).  Before I started it I struggled to put on a pair of tights in the morning, since I've been on it both problems solved! (I'm post meno BTW).
HTH,
S

Rosie63

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

It does help Sooze. Thank you. I'm pleased you have seen an improvement  :)

Rosie x