Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Post menopause treatment  (Read 2003 times)

Jayneyg62

Post menopause treatment
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »

Hi. Looking for advice. I am post menopause. Periods stopped aged 54, now 56. My main symptoms are insomnia and night sweats. Other than this I am at peace with the menopause ! My insomnia became intolerable last year and I tried Estelle conti. Brilliant at first. Breakthrough bleeding a pain but dealt with it. Then my hubby began commenting that I was being nasty and I started becoming very sensitive. Cried all day in work one day when someone snapped at me. Never happened to me before so I took myself off the tablets after 5 months. That was 6mths ago. Insomnia and night sweats returned but my mental health better. I have been told to try oestrogel pump and utrogestan but using low dose of both. One or two pumps of gel and 4 utrogestan 100mg per week. Anyone any experience with this please. I have gp apt soon. Many thanks. Also wondering if any one can offer advice re the libido problem, I haven't got a scrap !
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:17:44 PM by Jayneyg62 »

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Post menopause treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:00:48 PM »

Hi Janey- sorry you're feeling not great. The progesterone in Elleste is one of the more androgenic ones and is derived from testosterone. Can have side effects such as low mood but this can happen with any progesterone if you're sensitive. The Utrogestan is body identical but can still have side effects including low mood. You could try switching and give it some time but it's not a magic bullet. Firstly, if you decide to switch and take the Utrogestan on a continuous basis, it's 100mcg daily, not 4 x weekly. Some ladies on here do take less but this should only be done under medical supervision and with back up endometrial scanning.
Or you could try it on a cyclical basis. Would mean having a withdrawal bleed each month though. Also, bear in mind that it's a bit unstable in the body so you might get breakthrough bleeding at various points x

Jayneyg62

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »

Thanks Michelle. It's a minefield ! I dont mind the breakthrough bleeding, I will see what gp thinks re utrogestan 100mg on a daily basis.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »

I think you should get the HRT sorted out then you could possibly speak to your gp about testosterone gel but she might not be willing to prescribe this. And yes, you're right, it's a minefield :hotflash:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »

Hi Jayneyg62

:welcomemm:

I agree with MicheleMabelle!

I take Utrogestan vaginally on a cyclical basis so I have to have a withdrawal bleed unfortunately - but some women take it daily quite happily! Let usknow how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Jayneyg62

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »

Thank you Hurdity

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »

I'd suggest you use it cyclically at first until you know if you are OK with utro. It makes me tired. I use it vaginally cyclically too.

Jayneyg62

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

Hi - fresh from my gp apt with estrogel, 1 pump twice a week to begin and novogestan on days 21-28. Anyone had any experience with this ? Utrogestan not available in Wales, anyone else experience this. Thanks in advance ladies

Jayneyg62

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 07:47:18 PM »

Norgestan sorry for typo

Saffy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 11:20:08 PM »

Jayney, that is a completely bizarre regime! I'm not sure what your GP is trying to achieve. What was his/her reasoning for this?

The Norgeston is a progesterone only contraceptive pill normally taken all the time and not suitable for HRT AFAIK (let alone in the way it has been prescribed) ??? If you're looking for a low dose HRT you would expect to have perhaps half or one pump of Oestrogel every day plus either Utrogestan or Provera for 14 days a month for a cycle or every day for a continuous regime.

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »

Hi Jayney - I agree with Saffy. Oestrogel should be used every day.

Norgeston is not licensed for hrt use. It will not give you enough progesterone .

I would see another doctor and get the right prescription x

Jayneyg62

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »

Hi Saffy and Dotty. It is a strange one isnt it. I have to return to her in two months so I will give it until then. I dont think it's enough oestrogen but at the moment anything better than nothing ! What I need to find out is whether utrogestan is available on prescription in Wales. Can anyone help with this ?? If as i suspect the oestrogel dose needs to be increased the progesterone issue will need adjusting. I did become tearful and angry on the Estelle duet conti - too much progesterone so this may have been what she was thinking. Thanks this is an excellent forum

Dotty

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »

Hi Jayney If you are post menopause then your doctor had prescribed the progesterone incorrectly. I wouldn't wait 2 months.....