Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello from Evanne .  (Read 1281 times)

EVANNE

Hello from Evanne .
« on: May 04, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »

Hi Everyone ,
 Over the past few years I have read various very useful  comments from this site and finally decided to add my past experiences of seeking help and reading up on the subject of the menopause .
I am now in my late 50's, started the menopause early , last period was at the age of 45. I have had no children, still have my womb- no operations. I took the pill from the age of 18  with several years of  breaks .I have a career spanning over 30 years. I battle with my weight [overweight ] and I am constantly doing the best I can to avoid any path that leads to diabetes type 2.
 I am one of the 28% of women who struggled going through the menopause and tried many natural /herbal helpers for the 1st couple of years ,as not wanting any more synthetic hormones in my body [HRT ] .To be honest they did not help and from desperation after 3 years I finally succumbed to HRT tablets [ Dr was encouraging ]. within days I felt like a new woman . I tried several drugs and found the best for me Angelique. After 5 years my GP, much to my protest took me off HRT . I crashed really badly, mentally and physically I was really depressed and felt suicidal , my body literally cramped up, I had lost all strength physically and mentally everything was grey, my interest had gone from every aspect of my life, life didn't seem worth living . I thank god for my husband who supported me , but he was as confused as I was at times with the impact of the lack of hormones on my mental and physical state. After 4 visits to 4 different practice FEMALE GPS and being offered everything from sleeping tablets to anti depressants,[ which I didn't take , as I was not depressed!] I realised their knowledge was very limited and I would have to look elsewhere for help... Mid life crisis , turning to drink , the mad middle aged aunt , all made sense resulting from a fluctuation in hormones ..imagine 150 years ago I may have been admitted to bedlam ……
As this had such a major impact on me personally, I warned any female I knew about the menopause [mad middle aged woman].  luckily a nurse mentioned that a few hospitals in the UK  still have menopause clinics , after a search I found Chelsea and Westminster  London . I asked my GP for a referral and so began my journey with the clinic of Dr Panay . 
 As a new member , I am stopping here to see if this message does post in the forum . to be continued...………………………..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello from Evanne .
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »

It does and  :welcomemm:   Why don't GPs realise that if something ain't broke it don't need fixing?  Maybe that was at the time B4 research about the risk of breast disease was discretited but GPs should have put you back onto what worked!

Let us know how you get on with Dr Panay.  Have you been advised on treatments yet?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »

Hi Evanne.
Just to say hi, and welcome to the mad house.... ;D
We're a great bunch of ladies who will offer help and most importantly support, we've been where you've been, and some of us are still struggling with all this meno stuff....
Ask away, anything you want, nothing is stupid, or outa bounds....
We're here to help, and help is what we're here for.....
Dr Paney is quite well known, so hopefully,  you'll get sorted.....
Good luck, let us know how you get on....

Jd xxx

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »

:welcomemm:Evanne,
My experience is a bit similar to yours.
I went to see a female doctor over 10 years ago with all the classic signs of the menopause (mainly hot flushes & lack of concentration) & all she wanted to give me was anti depressants.

I asked her HRT, she said she didn't think I was menopausal yet I as depressed. So I said "you don't get hot flushes if your depressed" - she still prescribed AD's but I never fulfilled the script.

Went back & saw a different female doctor who couldn't have been more helpful if she tried. She said we will get through this together...bugger she left the practice after a couple of years - she was a gem.

Good luck with Dr Panay & let us know how you are getting on.

Cazi x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 03:42:02 PM »

Hello Evanne and welcome to the forum.

It beggars belief that so many GPs are ignorant of the effect that the menopause can have on some of us. Fortunately I had a doctor who mentioned the subject before I began having symptoms so I educated myself in advanceof the event. I still had a lot of problems though and continue to experiment with HRT.

Good luck on your journey and take care.

K.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »

Disgusting isn't it? 😡😡🤬

JaneinPen

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »

Welcome Evanne. Good luck with Dr. Panay. Keep posting. Nothing is out of bounds on here. We laugh, we cry, we virtual hug and we support each other when we need to