Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mini Pill and HRT  (Read 2727 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
Mini Pill and HRT
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »

Ladies, I'm looking for some advice.
As a lot of you know I had one of my ovaries removed 3 months ago. I'm taking Citalipram for anxiety, 7 weeks now. And I started on Evorel Sequi patches 2 weeks ago. Am due to go onto the combined patch tomorrow for the first time.
So here's the thing. I'm on the mini pill (pop). I have been on it for 10 years, I think. I'm on it for heavy periods, not for contraception.
Should I stay on the mini pill, or should I stop? Could the pill be the cause of my anxiety, post surgery? And my general low mood?
If I stop taking it, will I get heavy periods again? or not, because of the HRT?
If I stop taking it, when is the best time to stop?
OK ... lot's of questions. Sorry  :)
Thanks. xx
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:13:00 PM by pants46 »

pants46

• Still Struggling
Re: Mini Pill and HRT
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »

Ladies, I'm looking for some advice.
As a lot of you know I had one of my ovaries removed 3 months ago. I'm taking Citalipram for anxiety, 7 weeks now. And I started on Evorel Sequi patches 2 weeks ago. Am due to go onto the combined patch tomorrow for the first time.
So here's the thing. I'm on the mini pill (pop). I have been on it for 10 years, I think. I'm on it for heavy periods, not for contraception.
Should I stay on the mini pill, or should I stop? Could the pill be the cause of my anxiety, post surgery? And my general low mood?
If I stop taking it, will I get heavy periods again? or not, because of the HRT?
If I stop taking it, when is the best time to stop?
OK ... lot's of questions. Sorry  :)
Thanks. xx

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »

Anyone ?  :'(

Sparkler

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »

Hi there

I think you need some medical advice on this one. Taking the mini pill is adding progesterone 21 days out of 28, half way between the progesterone you might get on continuous and sequential hrt ( don't know about the dose though).

Seems odd to take both as on the progesterone days of your Sequi you would get double, some from the mini pill and some from the Sequi patch.

It might be more flexible to have the estrogen and progesterone separate, but I am not medically qualified so I do hope you get sone advice soon.

Xx

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »

Thanks CG and Sparkler.
I'm at a bit if a loss and starting to obsess, which is not good for me !!
To clarify, I take the mini pill contiuously, no breaks. Have done for 10 years. Looking back, I've probably had a low mood for all that time. But I kept collapsing on the first day of my period (sometimes in embarassing places - oxford street tube station being one !!).  So my Dr put me on the POP to reduce my bleeding. I was too old, too fat and too smoky to take the combined pill.
But now I've started HRT sequential patches, I wonder whether I'm getting too much P.
My Dr said that the POP wasn't enough to protect my lining, which was a shame, as she could then just give me E patches. So I had to have the sequential combi. And she said I might not get a withrawal bleed, because of the POP. But we didn't discuss whether I should come off the POP.
So now I think the minipill is affecting my mood. And I would like to feel happy again (I can't remember a time when I was actually happy  :'(). But I don't want heavy bleeding, or bad mood swings.
I'm a bit stuck, aren't I  :-\
xxx
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:31:15 PM by pants46 »