Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Question, do I/Don't I? Depression  (Read 1093 times)

Sickntired

Question, do I/Don't I? Depression
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »

I had been on variety of antidepressants for 30 odd years and finally stopped after a media exposure of the effects of certain pills plus Alzheimer's link .  I know in that light this will sound a stupid question.    I decided for myself I needed to cope and a lot of my problems were neurotic.   It was passable until it coincided  with my quickening decrease of estrogen,  (no period 3 months).  My anxiety now presents itself as death fears at night which I tell to "f-off"  or I would spend every night awake.  But it's there in the background with an increasing sense of doom.  I felt numb and apathetic in levels up to menopause but this last 2 weeks just nothing.   Most stuff I have a rule I go do it anyway as I feel worse when I've done nothing of the stuff I want to get done...  Intermittently there's a feeling of 50 is past everything,  it's just downhill or I hate being older or the fact that I've achieved nothing .  My usual rule is fix the problem that causes the problem, ie I was a t college to get a degree and change my life albeit latterly.  I've done min wage menial all my life, bored and now tired.  Menopause meant I was too tired and lost my brain basically at the beginning so this year dropped out for a year .  Was v down about the brain stuff but have regrouped and changed my thinking plus new hrt Evorel Sequi and Vit D helping (although new addition of IBS is no joke)  ,  the changeover makes me feel more bleak , more doom, more removed, unemotional ,  can't be arsed.  Is this HRT?    Increasing meno symptoms ? ie lack estrogen,  if so can it still sucessfully be treated with antidepressants or is that just like trying to use a splint to treat a hernia?   Any advice, I don't feel I'm making rational decisions at the moment so need outside opinion as want to get my life back onto a track I can travel rather than feeling stuck by my own doing.

suzysunday

Re: Question, do I/Don't I? Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »

Not sure how much help I can be. I am 60 now and 5 years ago came off seroxat after taking it for 12 years solid.  Like you was worried of long term use. I went through hell coming off it, did it too quick, totally underestimated it.   then overlapping that , meno symptoms that came prominent over 2 years ago, well post meno, with vaginal atrophy.  Been struggling with coping since, hrt then post meno bleeding, biopsy then stopping hrt, now using local hrt.   you are younger than me, do you think the hrt is ok for you?  Do you really want to go back on anti depressants?  They can help and sometimes I think I was better on them, but I would not go back to them .  I understand your feelings of apathy, doom. The last 5 years for me have been hard after relying on seroxat, they cushioned me from the raw emotions I feel now.  I got a degree in my 40s and lacked the confidence to use it.  I feel quite down about my life now, hate being older like you do.  It's hard to advise, are there fulfilling jobs available for you.  It's a hard time of adjusting and I don't do it well.  Anxiety and low self-esteem have been with me all my life.  It's hard to do but you have to try things out, be kind to yourself.  Sorry can't be more helpful but others here may join in.  This forum is very supportive.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

How long have you been on HRT? They say you need 3 months to get the full benefits. My anxiety and insomnia took 3 months.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:22:24 AM »

Hi there. I too had a midlife crisis last year at age 55 thought my life was bleak. Eventually I managed to get onto HRT which gave me the will to at least change my life. So I chucked in my reasonably paid boring job to work for myself and have never been so poor..or exhausted..or happy. And I have a new man 😊 Life doesnt end at 50 as long as you can fibd the strength to change things. Good luck xx