Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Progesterone coma....help!  (Read 2498 times)

Hurdity

Re: Progesterone coma....help!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »

This is the third thread this eve I have posted this same info - think we need a sticky post as it is understandably so confusing!

Stellajane has said all of this already in her post, but in view of your last couple of posts I will say again as you won't have seen them!

Until a year or two ago you could get:

1   100 mg utrogestan capsules (they're not tablets but little round balls of micronised progesterone) - licensed for oral use in UK as part of HRT.

2   200 mg utrogestan capsules - oval shaped, licensed for oral use as part of HRT (normally cyclical use)

3   200 mg utrogestan capsules - exactly the same as the above number 2, but with applicators and a different leaflet, licensed to be used for fertility.

Option 2 was withdrawn a year or two back leaving the 200 mg version as only produced for fertility and the 100 mg only produced for HRT.

The French medicines info gives only these two but they are both described as for oral or vaginal use, and the prescribing info gives how to use them for fertility and for HRT (well it does for the 200 mg ones). Not sure if you would want to insert 3 x 100 mg or more little balls for fertility  :o !!!

It could be that you are absorbing more systemically from the 100 mg ones although difficult to imgaine that 1 x 100 mg would give you more than 1 x 200mg. The different surface area (say for 2 x 100 mg compared to 1 x 200 mg) and possibly slightly different thickness ( if there is one) of the outer capsule shell - could be one explanation  for the difference?

The most important function of the progesterone is to protect the endometrium so you need to use whichever does this best for you. Unfortunately a byproduct of vaginal use is greater systemic absoprtion too giving the side effects. It does mean that a lower vaginal dose can sometimes be used compared to an oral dose but if you are on a high dose of oestrogen then it needs to be adequate to keep the uterus lining thin. However as you say you must be ab le to function and work so a compromise might be needed.

Some women can get their doc to prescribe the 200 mg fertility ones for HRT - because they should know they are exactly the same....

Hope this doesn't sound too garbled BlueKingfisher! As CLKD says you need to give each option some time - for example you might actually settle down with the 100 mg continuous use - sometimes it's worse for me at the start and then I sort of get used to it, and sometimes it just hits me straight away - the prog surge!!

Incidentally there are pessaries/suppositories for fertility not licensed for HRT called Cyclogest and you might want to ask about these although Utrogestan seems to be more favoured. They are taken at twice the utro dose ( although you don't get twice the dose). They are waxy pessaries so the stuff takes longer to ooze up through the cervix. I used these for 4 years before starting Utrogestan.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »

Thank you Hurdity and everyone else who has used up their personal time to help me! I am hugely grateful. I've no idea why the 100mg micronised progesterone pills make me feel so ill & the 200mg  vaginal pessaires make me feel good. I can only think it makes sense to go back to the 200mg pessaires from tonight, give it a few days to settle & then consider my options such as increasing the amount of time I'm on them (I was only on them for 7 days a month).

I will see how I get on tonight but I can still feel the progesterone surging around my body from the micronised version so it will take a few days to run the side effects of this down. I will let you know how I get on as I hope this experiment might help some other women who really struggle with the micronised version.

Thank you again, I can never thank you all enough for the selfless help you have given me, even thinking of occupational health etc at work which I will ask about as soon as I'm well enough to be back in the office.

Xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:51 PM »

Just to add - all of the capsules 100 mg or 200 mg, both of which can be used orally or vaginally - contain micronised progesterone - it is exactly the same stuff in them just different dose!

I hope you are feeling better today :)

Hurdity x

pepperminty

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 06:15:38 AM »

Hi,

sometimes a small shift in what we are doing HRT / medication wise and indeed other ways which can have a monumental effect on our body/ mind and throw things out of skilter and it sems to take ages to get back to the previous norm.

PMX
Pages: 1 [2]