Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding started 2 years after HRT started  (Read 629 times)

Cookienoodles

Bleeding started 2 years after HRT started
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »

After 2 years of taking continual femostin conti I started having periods again.  The bleeds come approx every 23 days for 5 days.  Was referred to gyne who examined me, did a scan and took a biopsy, which were all ok.

I'm 57, took HRT and got immediate relief from disabling hot sweats and some improvement in fatigue and depression. Got my life back and really dont want to come off it, but GP perplexed.

I have an underactive thyroid but am told its suppressed.  I put on a stone in 2 weeks recently.  Any advice?

Hurdity

Re: Bleeding started 2 years after HRT started
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:15:28 PM »

Hi CookieNoodles

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms

Not sure what you mean by your underactive thryoid is suppressed? If you've put on a stone very quickly and are hypothyroid then this could mean you need more thyroxine. Oral HRT in particular may interact with thryoid metabolism so levels need monitoring and if necessary readjusting. Do you have your (thyroid hormone) levels measured regularly? If you are feeling more tired and cold recently too then  could be time to up your dose I would think (not that I'm an expert in thyroid issues in any way - just the very basics)?

The interaction between the two presumably may account for your bleeds? If all is well re scan and biopsy then how did they account for the bleeds? What was your uterus thickness? If it was very thin then one explanation is endometrial atrophy (overthinning) which can cause bleeding although not full on period type bleeding I gather?

Otherwise if it continues then might be better to go onto to sequi for a while (1/10) which would give a predictable bleed, or a different conti type eg patch or gel oestrogen along with utrogestan (micronised progesterone) or Provera (progestogen tablets).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x