Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Food intolerance  (Read 6011 times)

discokaren

Food intolerance
« on: April 27, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »

Has anyone else become intolerant to foods they used to be able to eat before with no problems....?
I now can't eat onions, garlic or drink coffee
I am on the loo for days if I do
Share your lists ladies to help others

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Food intolerance
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »

Yip- can't touch onions or leeks, a lot of garlic, pasta is another no no as is bread!
Alcohol too although it doesn't stop me having a go  :lol:

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »

Wheat and nuts,appt at immunology 8th May to be tested properly

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »

Oh and nothing too fizzy 😏

Woodlands

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 01:49:13 PM »

Hi there.
Yeah me too..... Any type of cheese and eggs.....
I eat mostly veggie so I put up with the abdo pain, bloating and toilet trips but sometimes I have to avoid them both...
I also became asthmatic.... Apparently all due to increased sensitivity and inflammatory markers.
Grr Woodlands xx

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »

My stomach playing up today for some reason best known to itself 🤨 I had an oaty kinda flapjack thing,I'm guessing it's that,although it's oats not wheat,omg,when did eating become so difficult

BlueButterfly

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:20:44 PM »

Have to be careful with gluten items now. I can eat small amounts but too much too frequently and issues happen. For awhile I had to stay away from dairy, garlic, onions, and a couple other items but I seem to be okay with all that now.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »

🙄 you just can't win can you

Jillm

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »

I'm not great with dairy, wheat, trying to avoid that if I can. I baked some cakes for the work this week and had 2 on Tuesday, suffered for being greedy.
Green leafy veg, especially spinach, I have noticed frequent urgent loo visits and most distressing of all wine just doesn't agree with me any more.
I don't understand😡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »

Good thread!

I've been allergic to onions for years unless they are really well boiled i.e. in chutney
Garlic I had to get accustomed too, initially it gave me heartburn
A few weeks ago, by chance, I dropped shop cakes and chocolate from my diet and my heartburn receded completely  :o
Tea tastes different as the day goes by  :-\
Coffee makes me nauseous

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »

Hi everyone,

A lot of the foods that have been mentioned on this thread are high in FODMAPS, meaning they are highly fermentable. I used to have severe stabbing pains in my stomach if I had garlic, onions etc but now, after following a strict low FODMAP diet for about six months & building up the good bacteria in my gut with a good probiotic.....I can now tolerate a lot more foods such as garlic & onion.

I know its quite boring having to give up yummy foods but it might be worth considering to try & re-balance the gut. You could try garlic infused olive oil for flavour as that's low in FODMAPS & fresh chives instead of onion. Worth considering anyway!

Another thing to consider is low stomach acid, something that apparently declines naturally with age. I now take digestive enzymes & that aids my bloating, wind & indigestion. Again, just something else that might be worth considering but obviously won't help any ‘true' food intolerances.

I'm no angel though obviously & although I'm really struggling with switching my HRT routine I still thought it a good idea to have 2 glasses of wine last night when really I should be doing everything possible to keep stable! Sometimes I just have to rebel, particularly when I've had enough of feeling rough! ;-)

Otter15

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »

At the grand old age of 47 I suddenly developed an intolerance to milk! Was diagnosed with GORD and given massive doses of omeprazole. By chance, I went away for a week and had no milk or chocolate and my symptoms improved dramatically. I cut out all things containing milk - lactose free still made me ill, coughing when I ate or lay down and really nauseous with lots of mucous. 12 years later I don't take anything and no longer cough - unless I eat something with milk in. Strange huh?

I also developed IBS type symptoms but follow FODMAP like Blue Kingfisher and it definitely helped me. I eat ground linseed every day too and I think that's helped a lot. I tried that as an experiment for phytoestrogens but I don't think it's made any difference there but my stomach has benefited.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »

DH adds garlic and ginger to most recipes ......... a lot is Indian based which encourages turmeric too. 

arwin

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:21:48 AM »

Dear Kingfisher
I've been going through exactly what you're talking about for a few years. I'm on a FODMAP diet, but it's not enough. Would you mind letting me know which digestive enzyme and probiotic you're taking? I promise not to hold you to it! I believe I may have found a low FODMAP prebiotic.
thanks ever so,
Helene

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »

:welcomemm:
Pages: [1] 2