Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Is the problem Estrogen or Progesterone?  (Read 701 times)

Rosie63

Is the problem Estrogen or Progesterone?
« on: April 27, 2019, 11:50:18 AM »

Hi ladies.  I'm currently taking Femoston Conti 1/5 and have been on this now for just over 3 weeks so nearly done my first month.  I've been ok but still not great to be honest.  I've never really taken prog. continuously for any length of time so wondering if it's this that's causing the problems.  I seem to have what I can only describe as a sicky headache so not banging but it's there all the time.  This comes with very achy, sore joints and muscles and feelings of nausea (hence the sicky feeling).  I'm also feeling really tired, although I'm sleeping like a log.  I've upped my dose slightly by taking another half tablet but I think I'm feeling worse doing that.  I was on Prempak C 0.625 for years so not a high dose and had no problems but obviously wasn't taking prog all the time and I can't quite understand why I would need high doses now after being on a low dose for such a long time.  Perhaps I just need to give it all a bit more time.

I'm waiting on results from blood test for B12, Vit D and Ferritin and have call with gp next Friday to discuss.

Any thoughts you might have ladies would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rosie63

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Is the problem Estrogen or Progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »

Hi Rosie- sounds like a reaction to the progesterone and taking it continuously. I've never been able to take continuous progesterone and had exactly the same issues you mention ( still have them to a lesser degree but not every month! )
Firstly, you've not being taking the tablets long enough- they do say to give each new regime 3 months but sometimes you just feel so bad you can't go on that long. I'd certainly try and stick it out another few weeks and see how you get on. The body does take time to adjust.

It might be as simple as switching to a cyclical basis or it may be that the progesterone or method of delivery isn't suiting you, in which case you could try a patch/ gel and another progesterone.
Sorry, there's no easy answers or one size fits all as no doubt you'll know from reading the posts on this forum!

Let me know how you get on with your blood test results. There's a big difference between what is considered “ normal” and what is needed for optimisation of well-being in menopause. I've only just discovered this after speaking to a trichologist about hair loss. Happy days!  :cancan:

Rosie63

Re: Is the problem Estrogen or Progesterone?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply MicheleMaBelle.  I'm going to try to stick with it for at least another month if I can as I've tried a lot of different regimes over the last 18 months, gel, patches and pills, and none have been great for me.  I'm thinking that I may never find one that suits me as well as Prempak did  :(  Trying to stay positive but it's difficult at times !

I hope you find some answers to help with the hair loss......this menopause malarkey is a joy isn't it NOT !!

Wishing you well.

Rosie63 x