Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt and muscle pain?  (Read 2044 times)

Nowombattheinn

Hrt and muscle pain?
« on: December 28, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »

I'm 4.5 wpo radical hysterectomy so straight onto hrt, estrogel and Utrogestan, I am in so much pain. Not surgical pain, muscle and joint pain. It's been getting worse this last week. My hips, thighs, shoulders are so sore, I'm still in my thirties and finding this really hard to deal with as I'm usually very active. Has anyone experienced this before, has it lifted or did anyone have it and have to change up their hrt??

Help!!

Bobidy

Re: Hrt and muscle pain?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »

Hi

Joint and muscle pain were my biggest gripe.

As you have very recently had a major op be careful re lifting, stretching, bending to try and ease your muscles until 12 ish weeks and gently after that. I had a hysterectomy earlier this year and forced myself to have a very slow recovery. I felt ok by 6 weeks but it took about 14 weeks before I felt normal again, so don't rush.

Some of your pains will be slouching to get comfy rather than sitting straight up, rolling to get out of bed, and generally being more immobile. Make sure you do gentle post hysterectomy stretches. Your hospital physio should have given you some to do or check out Michelle Kenways post hysterectomy stretches on you tube, she is a physio. Be gentle and build up to little walks.

I started adding more stretches, longer walks and 1kg weights at 12 weeks, but listen to your body it will tell you when enough is enough and don't push it or it could set back recovery.

You can try:

- self massage on arms and legs with lotion or oils
- Epsom salt foot baths, I would suggest baths but not post surgery
- Better You magnesium lotion
- Celfan muscle rub
- vit D3 and Omega 3 supplements
- yoga stretches, not yet though post surgery
- brisk walking, build up gently post surgery
- little hand weights, you don't need more than 1kg, not yet though post surgery
- warm hot water bottle
- paracetamol rather than NSAIDS, kinder on your stomach

I take estrogel which solved the joint pain and some muscle pain, this can take a while. I'm also on testosterone which is helping muscles.

On the whole it's a combination of all the above and I still get some stiffness if I'm static for any length of time, but nothing like it used to be.

I wish you a strong recovery and hope some of these tips work for you x

Nowombattheinn

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »

Thank you for your reply bobidy, I'll try a few of those things, I was more worried though that the estrogel was causing the pain as it's really only started in my legs and hips this last week when I changed to rubbing it into my thighs rather than my arms as I upped my dose and needed more surface area! But I'll keep taking it easy and see if it inproves.

Thanks

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »

No problem, I don't think the estrogel will be causing it. More likely the dramatic loss in oestrogen you have now had. It's common for younger women and surgical menopause to need higher levels of hrt. The best thing about estrogel is that you can amend the dose, though I would recommend doing this in half pump increments each couple of weeks until you reach a level to suit so you don't get side effects. I'm on 3.5 and split this am and pm on lower inside thighs.

You might need local oestrogen internally to stop any VA too. I've waited 6 months before starting Vagifem pessary and Ovestin cream externally.

Things will start to get better don't worry. Your body is still recovering from major surgery along with being thrown into Menopause. Give it a couple more months and you will see an improvement x