Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: stay on hrt?  (Read 869 times)

debra217

stay on hrt?
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:46:39 AM »

Hello - any advice greatly appreciated.

I am 53 and was still having random periods when I first tried Elesse duo a year or so ago - the progesterone had horrible side effects. About 3 or 4 months ago I switched to Femoston 1/10. 

Ironically now I feel the estrogen gives me more problems. When I'm taking that I have a constant headache and terrible anxiety as well as period type pains and bloating.  I tried halving the tablet but still had side effects. The prog. was a bit better.  I'm wondering if I should just come off hrt altogether. My physical symptoms were not that bad - sweating, I could cope with and my anxiety seems worse on the hrt. Insomnia was a biggy and the hrt has helped that quite a lot but the horrible side effects are making me think of just coming off altogether.

A friend of mine, same age, is still on the mini pill and has very few menopause symptoms. Her doc says it's safe for her to remain on this. Does anyone have any experience of this?  or any other suggestions re the hrt side effects. I like to go equipped with some info to the docs as most of the time they are reactive to what I say rather than offering any suggestions?

I'm on the combined hrt as I was still having some periods and I get a monthly bleed due to being on the hrt so no idea if my periods have naturally stopped or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: stay on hrt?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »

Hi debra217 - have you though of changing to transdermal HRT for example a patch? Some women find they get fewer sdie effects because the hormones go straight to the bloodstream without having to go through the digestion and liver. Also recommended for those who suffer from headaches. There is Evorel sequi or you could have a patch such as Estradot with separate progesterone. All the different types are on the menu under treatments.

If your periods were few and far between then the mini pill isn't really suitable as it only provides a progestogen, and with declining periods your oestrogen levels will have fallen, so you may well end up feeling gradually worse. It can sometimes be a trial trying to find the right HRT I agree.

If you're changing HRT type best to stay with the cyclical type even if you may be post-menopausal, at least until you see whether the progestogen agrees with you after a few months anyway.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

debra217

Re: stay on hrt?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  That's very helpful, as always.

I will speak to my doctor about trying the transdermal kind.

Deborah