Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bad wind from HRT anyone else had this as a side effect?  (Read 2807 times)

Aeia

Bad wind from HRT anyone else had this as a side effect?
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »

I'm 48 and had a hysterectomy in Dec 2017. One ovary was left behind. I had a lot of complications with internal bleeding which got badly infected and then bladder damage. In about May 2018 I was feeling tired and my GP checked my FSH levels which were high suggesting I was in menopause. I tried oestrogen patches for a while but I had really tender breasts which didn't seem to ease over time. I also had really bad wind! My libido was also low. I'd done some reading up and asked the GP if I could try tibilone and he agreed. That seemed to stop the sore breasts and give me more energy and I think a bit more libido (it's never been great!) but I still had the wind. After trying various things to deal with the wind my GP and I agreed maybe trying to stop the HRT to see if that was causing it. I stopped 2 weeks ago and the wind is definitely better!  I still feel it a bit but think some of that is due to possibly a slight bowel prolapse or damage from the infection as I don't find it so easy to just pass a bit of wind. I have to sometimes hold myself down below to help it out :( I was wondering if anyone else had wind as a side effect? I'm also retaining less fluid and dropped a little bit of weight! I do however feel tired again, but hoping this is just a blip till my body gets used to being off the HRT.

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Bad wind from HRT anyone else had this as a side effect?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »

Poor soul. It may be the HRT, I've had similar problems but also have IBS, so not sure what's causing what! I do remember being pregnant though and having terrible wind ( as did some friends). We weren't invited to many parties :party09:
So, I do think that if you are susceptible that way, the hormones don't help. Try some probiotics to see if they help.🤪

Aeia

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »

Yep, I did notice when I had my period my bowel habits would change depending on where I was in my cycle so think they are quite sensitive to hormones. I need to make sure I drink more and eat more fibre I think. I've tried Kiefer as a good probiotic. Was wondering about the pill versions as I'm rubbish at making sure I drink one of the drinks!

Tc

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »

Aiea.
When I had problem with one ovary and asked why they removed  the other healthy one too I was told  that after removal of one ovary the remaining ovary can "fail" leading to menopause especially if you are near menopause age anyway, the same is often said of hysterectomy but i dont think this is necessarily a "given". I'm not sure FSH levels alone are a definite indicator of post meno. Your remaining ovary may still be fluctuating.

Sorry to hear you had complications of surgery. During my ovaries removal they pierced my uterus and had to repair it  so a few months after they did a scan to check as I was having pain.
I think if someone has complications during a surgery  it's not too much to ask to scan afterwards if there are symptoms just to check.
So maybe this might be an idea.

I was told adhesions are very common after pelvic surgery, although they are not always visible on a scan.

I find windeze good for pain with trapped wind.
Xxx