Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Fibroadenoma and HRT  (Read 3799 times)

Basil

Fibroadenoma and HRT
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »

Hi !
Happily been on HRT (Mirena coil and oral estrogen tablets) for three years now.  Last week felt a lump in my right breast and had it checked out with my GP.  She is confident it is a benign fibroadenoma but is going to refer me for an ultrasound just to be sure.  My GP said they don't really know what causes fibroadenomas but after reading up on them on the internet they seem to be associated with hormones.  So my question is really is HRT contraindicated if you have a fibroadenoma ?  Should I be thinking about cutting back the hormones or is there an increased risk of fibroadenomas becoming cancerous if I keep going with the oestrogens ?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts :-)

Hurdity

Re: Fibroadenoma and HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:01 PM »

Hi Basil

I had (maybe still have?) a breast lump which was a fibroadenoma identified by U/S scan quite a few years ago when still fertile. No action taken but I've always had lumpy breasts and used to get mastitis when breastfeeding all my babies. Also had another lump which was a galactocoele (milk lump).

These were never mentioned when I went onto HRT and not sure my records were even looked at re the breast lumps. They are not a contra-indication as such - these are listed here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

I've been on HRT for 12 years and have regular mammograms - and try to remember to examine my breasts but often forget.

Here is some info on fibroadenomas and breast cancer: https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma . Looks like it depends on the type of fibroadenoma - with the complex ones increasing the risk of bc very slightly but the simple ones having no effect. I've no idea what mine was as it wasn't looked at.

There are other factors which increase the risk of BC far more eg being overweight (or rather too much fat), smoking and drinking more than the recommended amolunt of alcohol. If your quality of life on HRT means that you can function better and more happily then this may well outweigh any slight risks, if your FA turns out to be a  complex one?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Basil

Re: Fibroadenoma and HRT
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thank you so much for your response.  It really was so helpful :-)  I will await the result of the ultrasound but yes I love being on HRT and my risk factors for BC are very low.

Thanks again, you really have put my mind at ease !

xx