Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New and a bit lost  (Read 4099 times)

Moonshine54

New and a bit lost
« on: April 14, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »

Hello Everyone
I am new to the site but not to having hormonal issues throughout my life. I have had issues with PND and PMDD and had some quite heavy duty treatments over the years.  However the last few years my hormones have settled down until now.  Last year my GP got me to have my mirena coil removed because of a UTI.  It turned out it wasn't connected.
However since then my periods have become really irregular.  But its the irritability, anxiety, low mood and tiredness that is the real problem. I am 54 so i know its the menopause starting.   :'(
However i need some advice on what to  do. I have always been quite sensitive to hormone  changes and reacted badley to the pill or synthetic progesterone.  I was able to tolerate the mirena.  My question is Am i better to get the mirena replaced and take oestrogen patches?
I have been through alot in my life and thought i was in a!settled peroid. I have a good job and a lovely relationship. I am worried that this is all going to spoil everything.  I feel terrible today. Just like i used to do with pmt but i have just had a peroid.
I have contacted the email answer service but havent been sent the link.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Warm wishes
Mooney  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New and a bit lost
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »

:foryou:

Moonshine54

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »

Thank you xx :)

Moonshine54

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »

Hi Stellajane
Thank you for the reply. I think removing the mirena has tipped me into the menopause.  I just need to get it fitted again.
😗😘

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:01:29 PM »

I agree with Stellajane. Let us know how you get on.

Taz X  :welcomemm:

Moonshine54

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »

Thank you Taz and for the welcome xxx😗😘 it looks a great place. My next problem will be to get an appointment with GP.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »

Hi Moonshine54

:welcomemm:   Just wanted to say hi....xxx

Moonshine54

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »

Hi Jillydoll
Thank you  for the welcome xx

Tc

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:15:02 PM »

Hiya moonshine and welcome. Great to have you onboard :welcomemm:

I have only been on here for 7 months and other ladies are far more experienced and knowledgeable than myself around HRT. But I can speak confidently  my experience of the forum. Dont be afraid to post any questions, express your fears or talk about your symptoms. Someone will always be along who can offer experience, sometimes advice and reassurance. I see you already have some helpful replies but dont shy away from posting as much as you want. Dont ever worry that a question has already been asked. It is your first time of asking it and everyone has been there.
All the best to you x

Moonshine54

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »

Hi Tc
Thank you for the lovely welcome  :) :)xx

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »

Welcome. Another vote for stellajane's advice. I hope it works for you.

Moonshine54

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »

Thank you Sheila  :) I hope so as currently feeling awful xx

Holsy

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »

Hi Mooney

I'm new to the forum too & everyone has been very helpful & supportive.

I too have the mirena coil and have had it for 10 yrs - had it replaced again last week. I have it because of fibroids and don't think I could cope without it.....however, as I am now peri-menopausal having the coil is a blessing because I only have to have the oestrogen - which I get through the patches. I have been on the patches - 25 I tried 50 but it was far too much -  for 8 weeks now and I am starting to feel better. There is certainly light at the end of the tunnel anyway.

I have been told to keep the mirena coil for as long as possible....most definitely for another 5 years.

So I think it would be a good idea to have it refitted & then try the patches or gel which ever you prefer. It is trial & error at first but worth persevering.

This last week of having a period due to the coil being replaced wasn't nice, so for me it's the mirena coil no question. I wouldn't want to have periods again.

Good luck and keep us posted. You will feel better and get back to normal...  :-* xx

Moonshine54

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »

Hi Meno
Thank you for the welcome.  I think i was wrongly advised to have the mirena re moved. 
I am going to see the  Gp tomorrow. However  they wont fit coils, and send you to   the sexual health clinic.   They have a massive waiting list and are not that happy to fit one as i am 54. I still have periods. I also have a small fibroid but it doesn't give me any trouble.
Its great to hear that things are working for you.  Do you prefer the patches to the jell?
Mooney😘😗

Holsy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Hi Mooney

Yes I agree, I think you were wrongly advised too, but at least it can be refitted.....I'm fortunate that my GP can fit them, as they're a bit of a faff aren't they? It shouldn't matter how old you are, you would have still had it had they not made a mistake. Surely as it was their error they should fit it sooner, rather than later....you perhaps need to make a fuss....
I think you maybe need to say that the fibroid is making your periods really heavy and you're lacking in iron etc....so that you become a priority.

I didn't try the gel, as my GP said it was all a bit of a pain having to spend 10minutes rubbing it in every day. I find the patches fine though, don't even notice they're there and they haven't come off in the shower etc....

Really wish you well Mooney, hang in there xx
Pages: [1] 2