Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Divorce Laws - what do you think?  (Read 2547 times)

Stellajane

New Divorce Laws - what do you think?
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »

I'm in favour. It horrible being faced with a 2 year wait or what can be an unpleasant blame apportioning battle.

Shadyglade

Re: New Divorce Laws - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »

Ditto.

We have to treat people like grownups.

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

Me too. It'll stop all those people who resist purely because they want to fight/hurt their ex. X

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »

I agree,it's very outdated,marriages fail all the time,(usually)no one person to blame

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »

It used to be a 5 year wait.  2 years if both couples agreed.  One had to undergo some form of 'therapy' at relate B4 applying for divorce.

Hopefully I will never be in that situation.  People are human, they make mistakes.  Obviously if violence is involved then there is blame to call.  But one should be able to walk away if necessary.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

I agree there should be no fault divorce. I do think there should a period of time and maybe compulsory counselling if there are children. Far too many kids come from broken homes and it has to have a negative effect on many of them.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:49:33 AM »

I was raised in a restless household but never wanted my parents to part.  In hingsight though  ::).  I do wonder why Dad remained  :'(  :-\.

The couple that won the Lottery in 2011 are to divorce, he's 71 and she is in her 60s. 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »

I suggest that they couldn't agree with how to spend the monies  ;)

(We have a house to sell: we can't keep it as we don't agree on how to remodel it  ;D). 

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:53 AM »

Most people who want to divorce go for Unreasonable Behaviour (even where there is none).  The petitioner writes a list, and the respondent says 'yes' 'yes' 'yes' and they get the agreements in order and it can be done quickly.

However, if one person does not play along with it, then you have to go with the waits, and more waits.  Then you have that man in the news who will not give in.  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »

You're right Stella, I stayed in a loveless relationship with my ex because I simply couldn't afford to go it alone,it was horrendous and should've ended years before it did.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »

People change.  When I think that I would have been happy married with a roof over our heads now I want a roof with a view  :D.  Desperately want a view but logically, right now, unless I went it alone .........

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »

Life and people change. Divorce laws now are archaic they were definitely in need of an overhaul.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »

It is a Contract though .......... I also think that if people feel trapped but are able to get out easier a) they may not leave as they don't panic as much [clear as mud] and b) they can divorce and perhaps get back together later, it's not unknown. 

Every year around our anniversary I ask DH whether he wants to try for another 6 months  ;)