Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: No more GUM clinics!  (Read 2861 times)

jessieblue

No more GUM clinics!
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »

Just a heads up ladies.....I went to my local what I thought was GUM clinic today for really bad inflammation and pain with a horrid red angry rash breaking out into sores down there.  I have had this for a week since starting the 2 week load of vagifem.  I treated for thrush but no response, just a worsening of pain and inflammation.  I booked the clinic after waiting 5 days to get through to someone and told the lady what I was going for, she didn't say I couldn't be seen for that in the sexual health clinic, booked the appointment and I wated patiently in pain until Thursday to be told they don't deal with anything but contraception and STIs!  I was just sent away having waited an hour in an empty clinic.  It wasn't even a doctor I saw just a nurse.  She told be to go back to my gp.  So I tried to book an appt, but was told no doctors appointments the whole of next week, so after I made a fuss she gave me an appointment in another surgery in a town 25 mins away at 8pm Tuesday night.  I don't know where the surgery is or who I am seeing, just a male doctor I assume.  I am so desperate.  In terrible pain and discomfort.  This rash is blistering and seems to be spreading.  I have no idea what is wrong with me.  I cant just be the vagifem surely??  Everyone else seems to have been fine with it and has gotten great results.  I don't think I will ever get better nd I hate myself for even trying the vagifem when really I knew not to.  I would give my right arm to just go back to my usual VA symptoms, this is horrific and I feel like no one cares.  The medical profession has let me down for 10 years with my menopause problems.  They don't care and there is nowhere to go.  I am in such a low state because no matter how I try I cannot help myself.  Surely there has to be more to life than this constant suffering? On Tuesday I will demand a referral to dermatology as I think I must have LS.....or maybe worse.  I will have to wait 2 months to be seen no doubt.  Shocking state of affairs. Sorry for the rant but I am so desperate. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: No more GUM clinics!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »

You rant!  Maybe speak to a Pharmacist I know a bit embarrassing but there are usually ladies on the counter who could pass a message and they do have private rooms at Lloyds Chemists etc. or go to A&E?  Could it be shingles  :-\ ......... do not put anything else chemical down there - the Pharamcacist can advice whether 'savlon' would be appropriate.  That would be my first choice.

Thrush treatment made me burn, I had to sit in a cool bath for a few hours!

Get some LIVE yoghurt, applied it is cooling and soothing.  It has to have live cultures on the pot, Greek plain helps me.  Messy though.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:02:18 AM »

Hi jessieblue - just a quick reply but it sounds like an emergency appointment is needed to me - so that being the case you should be able to go to your doc on Monday morning. I think all surgeries have a sit and wait facility for emergency appointments or even reserve sone for when you ring at 8 am or something in the morning? There have to be different levels of appointment. Sorry to hear you are suffering....

Hurdity x

Robin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »

Hi Jessie blue,

I'm so sorry you're suffering like this.

I had a similar experience at my local gum clinic being told I could be seen for the issue I had but finding otherwise once there. I think there have been cutbacks and no longer offer some of the services they used to provide. It's the last thing you need when you're in such discomfort.

As Hurdity says I would try ringing your surgery at 8am on the dot on Monday. Any later and you may find all the emergency appointments for that day gone.

It is possible to react to vagifem. We're all different and what works well for some causes reactions in others. I React badly to the creams and have to be careful where I place vagifem as I seem to be more sensitive in some parts of my vagina than others. As you aren't getting relief from the vagifem yet might it be worth trying without it just over the weekend to try and see if that is the cause. There are other treatments you can try if it is.

Ive struggled badly with VA and had problems finding the right treatment but I'm on my way to recovery now. I wish I could be more helpful but I understand how awful this is and really feel for you.

Robin  :hug:

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »

If it's so uncomfortable and getting worse then I'd go to A&E as it's a while till Tuesday. Our surgery has the triage system at the moment. If your surgery doesn't offer emergency appointments on the day then they should offer over the phone triage.  Also ask at your local pharmacy for advice. There should be a private room where you can explain.

I do hope you get some relief soon

Taz X  :hug:

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »

Yes go to a and e if you need. You shouldn't be treated like this when you have tried for help.  Your gp practice sounds terrible not finding room for you.  All my thoughts to you, though and hope you get some help.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »

I rang my gum clinic for help with atrophy problems a couple of years ago and they told me the same.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »

I rang my gum clinic for help with atrophy problems a couple of years ago and they told me the same.
When I first saw GUM clinics recommended here for atrophy probs, I looked up my closest one and already had the impression that it was only for sexual problems. I didn't get as far as contacting them.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »

Some members have had excellent care from gum clinics in their area. It seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

This is from the NHS website as to what GUM clinics are able to help with https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/sexual-health/what-services-do-sexual-health-clinics-gum-clinics-provide/

I can only think that if you phone and mention a rash, sores or blisters on the genitals then you are told you can be seen just in case it is STI or Herpes related.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »

Did U ring a Pharmacist yet Jessie?  No need to suffer!

Taz -  :thankyou:

Robin

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »

I mentioned lichen sclerosis etc and was told on the phone they do deal with things like that. It wasn't the case in reality but I do know there have been cutbacks in my area. They seem to cater more for the huge student population

jessieblue

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

Thanks for all your comments.  It helps knowing there are others who understand.  I had my inlaws here this weekend and had to wait on them hand on foot!  I really felt like crying as in so much pain, last thing I needed but no one understands or cares so I just try to keep going.  I didn't ring the pharmacy but bought some 1% canesten cream and used that on the sores and the really weird red spots. Seemed to soothe a bit but then it breaks out again a bit later.  Im not using anything at all other than that and baking soda in bath with some coconut oil.  I feel dry and itchy inside now but YES seems to make me break out in spots again overnight.  Its really horrid and I so wish I hadn't used the damn vagifem as I was nowhere near this bad before that.  I have stopped now 2 weeks ago nearly but no improvement so I dont know whats going on.  I did mention lichen sclerosus to the nurse at the clinic but she just said I need referral to derm.  I wonder how long I have to wait to see a derm?

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »

Poor you serving the inlaws!  It sounds so sad that no one understands or cares.

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »

Hello jessieblue

I'm so sorry that I can't help you with your problem but I do sympathise with your circumstances.

I have different issues to you but also feel horrible.  We are entertaining a full house over Easter and I'm dreading feeling awful when our guests are here. As you say no one understands and we just have to keep going.

I wish I had the answers for you but you are not alone.

Take care and sending hugs.

K.