Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How do I know when to stop taking the pill?  (Read 839 times)

Red Giraffe

How do I know when to stop taking the pill?
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »

Hello

I've found my way here after searching the internet for answers.

I'm 52 and completely clueless about the menopause!

I've been on the mini pill for about 3 years to control seemingly endless heavy bleeding. Because of that I haven't had periods (other than very slight spotting) for a while. I've had a couple of hot flushes lately, but because of the lack of periods I don't know where I am through the menopause journey.

From what I've read, I might need to stop taking the pill in order to see what's happening, but other articles say it's OK (and maybe beneficial) to keep taking it. I wouldn't mind stopping taking it, but I don't want to risk the return of the horrendous bleeding. And if I did stop taking it and found my periods returned, could I start it again?

Has anyone got any experience or words of advice?

Thank you

Dorothy

Re: How do I know when to stop taking the pill?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »

There's no way of knowing where you are unless you do stop.  But you may find your periods don't return to their previous state if you do.
 When I stopped taking the pill (I started to get so many side effects that I came off it to see if I felt better without) I found my periods were much lighter and shorter.  I'm not sure about restarting - have you asked your GP?   

sheila99

Re: How do I know when to stop taking the pill?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »

I would ask your gp about restarting before you make a decision, though I can't think why you shouldn't. Although 52 is supposed to be the age when everyone is in meno there are many older ladies who aren't. I'm 58 and still in peri though irregular now.