Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADVICE- Early Menopause  (Read 3051 times)

Tired

ADVICE- Early Menopause
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:26:13 PM »

Early Menopause- HELP- I have ALL the symptoms of early menopause and mother went through it at 36, I have suffered badly with tiredness, memory loss, night sweats, etc, I was also off work for 6 weeks with stress and anxiety, which i now think was exasperated by POF. My worst symptom is tiredness, it is absolutely bringing me to tears...
ANYWAY my question is Dr has agreed to do another blood test but i will only of been off the pill (Combined Oral Contraceptive- Microgynon) for TWO months... Will this be ok? Have I any chance of blood test showing me as early meno and getting HRT

Rosie77

Re: ADVICE- Early Menopause
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »

Hi tired!
Did all of your problems start after stopping BCP?  Also, the pill is usually out of your system quite quickly.  I ask because I went of at 40.  One month later, I was a disaster...but nobody would listen to me even though my periods were wacky!  Also, my FSH was 30. Fast forward to recently I had A period in Jan. Then, night sweats all of feb and march...missed periods these months...in march fsh 170!  Just started week 4 of hrt.  Was only offered it because I mentioned night sweats.  She didn't seem bothered about my 50 other symptoms   ::)Now, just finished a period exactly 90 days from the last.  :o I will be 42. BUT, to answer your question...yes, the pill is cleared out of your system!  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:55:09 PM by Rosie77 »

Butterfly22

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »

I'm not sure but the FSH test should give some indication. I was very early to and was the hot flushes that made me ask getting tested xx

Tired

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »

I had a FSH test done but was on the PIL and I am sure I read that the combined pill suppresses FSH so gives an inaccurate reading, no I have had the symptoms for months now and the tiredness for longer! I stopped the PIL to hopefully get a more accurate FSH reading, I am worried though if its normal the Dr will think im mad, begging for HRT!!! Does anyone know if I am correct and the combined PIL supresses FSH?

Tired

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »

Rosie 77 Bless You... Its a mindfield! I am 34 and I just neeeeeeed ENERGY!!! Is there any time that FHS is at its highest? If i stand on my head will that help!!!!! I NEEED a high FSH and HRT!!  ;D ;D ;D

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:24:44 PM »

I always say we no our own body after not being listened to for years and turned out meno and ME.
So if the doctor won't listen I'd change doctor and don't give up until you get answers.
I'm guessing the pill will have some effect as hormones but the doctor should take that in to account. Xx

Rosie77

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

Rosie 77 Bless You... Its a mindfield! I am 34 and I just neeeeeeed ENERGY!!! Is there any time that FHS is at its highest? If i stand on my head will that help!!!!! I NEEED a high FSH and HRT!!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, by chance, mine were taken on the week I was due for period...never got one though.  My brain was screaming at my ovaries, but they aren't interested  ;D. I would tell your dr the night sweats are making you tired, miserable, etc...your mom went through early, etc.  Don't say “anxiety” then they start heading for the anti depressants...some are used off label for night sweats.  I am on an AD for migraine prevention, but the HRT has helped my mood the most.  I am on the lowest estradiol patch... .05mg. 

Also, I stopped in June of 2017.  My symptoms started in July.  Weird spotting everyday in July.  Nothing in Aug.  Sept a period.  October, no period...my FSH was 30.  Periods skipped more from then on.  Then, got lighter and closer together in 2018.  Then spaced apart again. Have you any period yet since coming off pill...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:09:18 PM by Rosie77 »

Tired

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 05:00:39 AM »

Straight away after stopping pill I had a bleed, only lasted a few days.... then 4 weeks later I had a really light bleed, no cramps nothing!!!! (Not like me!!)... Honestly I think this is making me crazy I go to bed dreaming of FSH results....  :o :o :o

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »

Hi Tired

:welcomemm:

I presume you had to come off the synthetic CCP due to your age or some other medical reason? At your age if no risk factors then the CCP is the best course of action rather than HRT as it provides contraception as well, and I gather many gynaes recommended this to younger women in your position.

Well the good news is there are two other types which are similar to HRT so you don't need to worry about where you are in menopause nor blood tests - which as you say are inaccurate especially as you have been on the pill recently, and these other types can be used up to age 50. They are called QLAIRA and ZOELY and provide estradiol fo the oestrogen and suppress the cycle so hlep prevent mood swings. Qlaira only has two tablet free days.

I hope you've had general blood tests, full blood count, vits and minerals etc to rule out other causes for your symptoms at your age?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Tired

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

I came off the pill so Dr could get an accurate blood test result to confirm diagnosis, been on it for over 3 years, yes all blood tests done... I am on iron and B12 injections and folic acid but all levels are within range. If i go with pill rather than HRT will qlaira or zooley be better than Microgynon at controlling symptoms coz omg I know I'm being dramatic but the tiredness.... I NEED to be able to function!!!!!!

Karen max

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »

Hi
The only advice I can give is if I'd to do it all again I'd jump onto an hrt sooner rather than later ,  I was 39 when I started getting symptoms than at 42 I had lots  symptoms still taking very irregular periods held of from taking hrt and pushed on through , my periods stopped 5 yrs  ago and it's been hell trying to find and hrt to suit me ..
Attended hrt clinic 2 weeks back and hopefully this is the right hrt they have me on now as I'm beginning to feel the old me coming back but I'm back to having to have a bleed every month (I don't care as long as I fell free of menopause symptoms)

Good luck

Kaz x

BlueButterfly

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »

I started having having symptoms last years at 36 while taking the CCP. I stopped to get tests done as well but they would only do one and those can be inaccurate during peri anyways because sometimes the body works right, sometimes it doesn't.

I did notice after stopping the CCP that things got worse...so to an extent it was helping but obviously wasn't controlling all the symptoms or I wouldn't have noticed anything happen.

If you doctor doesn't listen, find another. I need to keep looking but I'm so tired of going to doctors. It's so hard hearing "You're too young" and then they run another test for something else...and you are once again "fine". I've found some things that work for me now but trying to self-treat is hard and exhausting.

Good luck. I hope your FSH results show something!

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »

Did you get the tiredness all the time or only when you were on your pill break?  I used to get the most appalling tiredness when I was on my break - I could literally fall asleep standing up!!!  My GP advised running packs back to back for three months and then a 3 day break instead of 7, which worked much better.  Sadly,  after a few years I started to feel worse, so currently not on anything before I start looking for a different solution.

Level of hormone in the pill is higher than HRT, so I agree you would be better off with the pill.  But good to check there are no other causes for your symptoms first.  You might find that a different pill will help more with symptoms, so if all else is clear, it might be worth asking to try a different CCP

Tired

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 06:22:08 AM »

Unfortunately the tiredness is everyday... it's that exhaustion feeling you get before a period... it's disheartening as I'm sleeping well... I have had bloods done for anaemia thyroid etc... All fine. I just want my energy back. The anxiety and stress was really bad had me signed off for 6 weeks and I done really well at turning my perspective around and putting coping mechanisms in place, I feel like a different person but still that tiredness.... (I think because I was off with anxiety GP thinks the symptoms are related to that, although time to talk discharged me straight away saying my symptoms are physical not psychological... granted it took them 8 weeks to ring, and in that time I had done their work for them  ::) )......... Now I'm getting really dry skin to top off night sweets and brain fog! It's fun being female!!!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:37:34 AM by Tired »

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »

Qlaira and Zoely have estradiol which is like HRT and not as strong an oestrogen as the pill - but supposed to be better for women in your position. As I said you don't have the pill free week on Qlaira - just two days. Also I think you don't take the progestogen/oestrogen combi pill every day - 22 days out of 28, but there are different doses of oestrogen between 1 mg and 3 mg to mimic the menstrual cycle. There aren't many on here who use it - but you could go to the home page of the forum and do a search. Briony is a member who did use it but she hasn't been on here for a couple of years or so - but you could check her posts maybe?

Re thyroid - what were your actual results? Do look at these because NHS is very poor at treating thyroid conditions - fatigue and dry skin are typical ( as would be weight gain and feeling cold). Many women experience symptoms even with results within normal untreatable range.

How old are you now?

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2