Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dizziness, Vestibular Migraine anybody?  (Read 7334 times)

Lynnhunter

Re: Dizziness, Vestibular Migraine anybody?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 06:07:25 AM »

Hi Rosie77
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have a disc problem from years ago but had a really bad flare up in September which resulted in physio(still ongoing). My dizziness started in December and I had had a lot of viral infections and fluid in my ears so that's why they assumed I had vertigo or labrynthitus.
The consultant I saw tonight said that my back is a contributing factor not the cause to my VM as well as the menopause, due to all the nerves in my back being affected and this sends messages up the spine to the area at back of head.

I'm just in a whirl with it all, 4 years into menopause and still the problems come.. no wonder we get anxiety and panic it turns everything upside down. I'm now worried if I am able to continue working, which in turn brings financial problems...
Thank goodness for this forum!

Lynn

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 06:23:23 AM »

Hi periwhat,

I am dizzy 24/7 since my periods went wacky 2 years ago. Much worse when a period was due...whether it came or not!    Yet, my iron levels, etc were always fine.  The dr that diagnosed me with vestibular migraine is an oto neurotologist.  Did vestibular testing which induces vertigo and made me sick. This rules out inner ear damage. Lovely to have a name for all my symptoms...but I really would like relief!  I wish I had more helpful tips.  It came on out of the blue and I hope it goes away at some point.

My advice to you is, try and get some help...went a year and 1/2 running around in circles feeling worse everyday.  Seriously thought my mind and body was shutting down. I am trying to tackle it both ways with med and HRT.  Time will tell.  I guess.  Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Thanks so much for your reply Rosie77. What meds have you got for the dizziness? I went to see a GP yesterday, who gave me Stemetil. I have to try them for a week and then go back (but haven't started yet, because apparently they will make me drowsy and unable to drive, ffs!).

Rosie77

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:39 AM »

Hi periwhat,

I am only on the nortripyline.  For nausea, I tried meclizine (aka dramamine) but it knocks me out.  So, I guess I will not be dizzy  if I am in a coma.  I had yo look up Stemetil. I am in the US...we have Prochlorperazine...but it is listed as an anti psychotic???  Please clarify if this is right.  Why on earth would they put you on that for VM  ???

Lynnhunter, thanks for the reply!  I just had fresh xrays taken the other day and have appointment at a pain clinic in July and rheumatologist in June.    I am small framed and I have always thought my back and neck contributed.  I went to a chiropractor a couple of years back, he was focused on my neck.  But, after being bent and cracked, I never went back...it kinda hurt!  I know my neck is contributing for sure...it makes complete sense what you were told...our cerebellum is responsible for sending messages to our inner ear for balance, it sits at the base of the skull.  I think I got that all right  :)

Countrygirl

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »

Hi Rosie77, I have the same chemical named tablet, but mine is called buccastem and I pop it under my lip to stop me feeling/being sick with migraine I've taken it for about 20 years and it works really well. I think if taken in really large doses it's used to treat other things but I think it's only 3mg, a bit like anti depressants in low doses are used for pain x

Lynnhunter

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:43 PM »

Rosie77,
I've been to chiropractor too, for over a year, but ended up with more problems so never went back.
I'm so blown away that my back is a factor and that I've been diagnosed with VM even though I know it all makes sense. But hearing it from the consultant just blew me away. I really thought I only needed the epeley manoeuvre to fix my dizziness and I'd be ok!
on a separate issue, you say you are in the US I'm wondering if you are an American citizen or live there part of the year.
The reason I ask is that my daughter lives in Florida and she wants me and her dad to emigrate over there, at first I was up for it and we put plans in motion to move 2020/2021.
Now I'm petrified of the though of wether I could do it in my current state of health.... hope you don't mind me asking, just hoping for some positivity from someone who's emigrated and coping!!
Lynn

Rosie77

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »

Hi Rosie77, I have the same chemical named tablet, but mine is called buccastem and I pop it under my lip to stop me feeling/being sick with migraine I've taken it for about 20 years and it works really well. I think if taken in really large doses it's used to treat other things but I think it's only 3mg, a bit like anti depressants in low doses are used for pain x

Hey countrygirl!  Ok, that makes sense then! I have been having an awful time with the nausea...I think the progesterone pill is making it worse too...can't win!  ;D

Rosie77

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

Rosie77,
I've been to chiropractor too, for over a year, but ended up with more problems so never went back.
I'm so blown away that my back is a factor and that I've been diagnosed with VM even though I know it all makes sense. But hearing it from the consultant just blew me away. I really thought I only needed the epeley manoeuvre to fix my dizziness and I'd be ok!
on a separate issue, you say you are in the US I'm wondering if you are an American citizen or live there part of the year.
The reason I ask is that my daughter lives in Florida and she wants me and her dad to emigrate over there, at first I was up for it and we put plans in motion to move 2020/2021.
Now I'm petrified of the though of wether I could do it in my current state of health.... hope you don't mind me asking, just hoping for some positivity from someone who's emigrated and coping!!
Lynn

Hi lynnhunter! 

I was told at first I had BPPV...the epley did nothing unfortunately...but at least it got ruled out!  I am going to push my dr more on my back and neck problems. I sent you a message to your other question  :)

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »

Hi periwhat,

I am only on the nortripyline.  For nausea, I tried meclizine (aka dramamine) but it knocks me out.  So, I guess I will not be dizzy  if I am in a coma.  I had yo look up Stemetil. I am in the US...we have Prochlorperazine...but it is listed as an anti psychotic???  Please clarify if this is right.  Why on earth would they put you on that for VM  ???

Yeah as countrygirl says, it's a low dose, 5mg. Apparently used for dizziness and vertigo. We'll see. If it knocks me out it'll be no use, will it?!

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/99/pil

Rosie77

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »

Good luck periwhat!  I hope you get some relief...Please keep us updated! :)

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »

Well, a low dose (5mg) of Stemetil/Prochlorperazine is working really well for me. The dizziness goes almost completely when I take it and it doesn't make me any more tired than I already am.

If I forget to take one, or I run out of tablets, I get room spins again. The GP thinks it's ok to take these until the dizziness goes away by itself. Obviously I will have to keep stopping the tablets to assess if that's happening or not but fingers crossed.

Rosie77

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »

That's great!! Maybe it's just enough to numb that part of your brain. Fingers and toes crossed for you!  Thanks for the update  :)
Pages: 1 [2]