Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Vagifem...whats the word on the street/here?  (Read 34637 times)

Jillm

Re: Vagifem...whats the word on the street/here?
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »

Hello everyone,
Well I finished the antibiotics for urine infection last Thursday, been taking probiotics and eating kefir but IBS symptoms still awful, terrible gurgling stomach, loose stools and uncomfortable bloating.
I only hope it calms down by next Wed when we are off to Greece.
Oh palpitations also flared up again, not really noticed them for a few months, flushes and night sweats also back.
Has anyone else had symptoms come and go. I thought they were on their way out, but back just in time for holidays.
I knew this would happen, maybe I am causing it with anxiety, you know scared it will happen and ruin holiday, so it does😡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »

Remind me: was there an infection diagnosed by sample sent away to a lab. and are you on atrophy treatment?  If it's Vagifem use it nightly for the next few weeks certainly until you return from your holiday. 

Jillm

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »

Yeh it was sent to lab and definitely infection.
I have increased the vagifem to 3 times a week, but I think I'll maybe up to every night when I am away and hope the sweats and palpitations don't go on holiday with me😎

Wrensong

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2019, 04:18:37 AM »

Jillm, though it suits some people well, Kefir can sometimes aggravate gut problems.  The bug mix in any one product doesn't always suit everyone.  Can be very powerful in an unhelpful way for some folk, causing looseness, bloating etc.  If you google something like adverse reaction to kefir you will see that lots of people have trouble with it.  If you are taking probiotics as well, the combination might be too much.

Some probiotics/yoghurts/kefir increase histamine levels too much, so for people who have trouble processing histamine that can cause or aggravate flushing, night sweats, insomnia & digestive tract inflammation.   Also people with autoimmune tendencies (sorry don't know whether that applies here) sometimes overreact to foods containing probiotics - the body reacts as if the bugs in them were harmful & goes into overdrive with similar symptoms to those we get with infection.  Maybe lay off the kefir & or probiotics before your hols to give your system time to calm down?  I know they are thought to be helpful with UTIs - I've taken many over the years & they can help maintain health in many ways, but not all types are always right for everyone.  I hope you have a lovely time in Greece - beautiful country, lovely people.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:29:12 AM by Wrensong »

Jillm

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »

Wrensong,
Thanks so much for your really helpful reply.
Not sure what's going on, as I have IBS which flared up again recently I asked pharmacist and he suggested probiotic as  antibiotics can be unsettling, I chose high dose designed for use with antibiotics.
You are right though things seems worse than ever. I'll give probiotic a miss for a few days and see how that goes.
I'll take them with me along with Imodium and cover all bases. To be honest won't really miss the kefir.
Just hope things calm down, I have this horrible fear I'll spend whole time away fixating on every ache, pain and strange feeling and come back even more stressed.
I long for the days when I wasn't hyper sensitive to every odd sensation or if I did notice something, I just shrugged it off & got on with my very happy life.
I agree, we love Greece, food, people, weather - perfect🌞😎🍸🏝⛱

Katejo

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2019, 02:04:01 PM »

Hello everyone,
Well I finished the antibiotics for urine infection last Thursday, been taking probiotics and eating kefir but IBS symptoms still awful, terrible gurgling stomach, loose stools and uncomfortable bloating.
I only hope it calms down by next Wed when we are off to Greece.
Oh palpitations also flared up again, not really noticed them for a few months, flushes and night sweats also back.
Has anyone else had symptoms come and go. I thought they were on their way out, but back just in time for holidays.
I knew this would happen, maybe I am causing it with anxiety, you know scared it will happen and ruin holiday, so it does😡
You have my sympathy! So many times I have had UTI symptoms just before holiday. I do now have 2 back up courses of Trimethroprim to keep. Hopefully I won't need them. I am going on holiday tomorrow but i am ok this time. Perhaps this is because I have been using Vagifem for 6 months.  If you get symptoms just before going away, it is impossible to get a GP appt. and a urine  test done in time. On 1 occasion I assumed it was anxiety but it got worse after I left and i ended up having to go to an Italian hospital.

CLKD

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »

Symptoms B4 each holiday = anxiety ......... keep using the VA treatment if necessary a little more than usual, i.e. morning as well as evening.  Cotton panties or go nude under a skirt ;-)

suzysunday

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »

Crikey katejo, that sounds like my major nightmare situation.

Tracy parker

• First Flush
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »

Hi, I've been suffering with VA for months now. Doctor prescribed me all sorts of treatment but I still have itching and burning, keeps me awake at night! Any advice on how long Estirol and Vaigisan take to relieve symptoms? Thanks.

Turkish delight

« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »

Hia Tracy!

I'd love to know too.

Think I recall someone in this thread mentioned we need to be patient.

I've been taking Vagifem for a month now and had little improvement with my symptoms which are an urgency to pee which comes on suddenly.

It has most definitely worked for me as far as atrophy. I have become more lubricated and plump. My husband says I've never been as plump down there and we've been together since i was in my mid 20's...yikes!

Are you on any systemic hrt as well?

Katejo

« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »

Hia Tracy!

I'd love to know too.

Think I recall someone in this thread mentioned we need to be patient.

I've been taking Vagifem for a month now and had little improvement with my symptoms which are an urgency to pee which comes on suddenly.

It has most definitely worked for me as far as atrophy. I have become more lubricated and plump. My husband says I've never been as plump down there and we've been together since i was in my mid 20's...yikes!

Are you on any systemic hrt as well?
It varies a lot from 1 woman to another. I got some instant relief in the first 2 weeks  but then it fluctuated . Really good periods and then a flare up. However now (8 months after starting)  I haven't had a uti for 6 months and I am sleeping through most nights without the need to pee.  Still get a flare up if stressed or unwell for another reason. 
Will be happy if I get to October with no further UTI 's and still sleeping as well.  Have just started systemic hrt as well.

Wrensong

« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »

Jillm, the other thing about probiotics is that some strains have a tendency to be good for calming IBS-D & others better for IBS-C.   I think you're wise to give them & the kefir a rest for a while & see whether your tummy calms down, then if you need to experiment to try to improve your IBS, maybe try again when you get back from Greece.  Maybe have a look at Optibac's website if you haven't already - there are reviews & you can ask their staff questions, I think.

The milder natural yoghurts can be calming - not the acidic tasting or high fat varieties just now, but even the bland ones may be too much if your system is really off balance & protesting at the cultures it may be regarding as invaders.  I love the Total 2% fat whisked with semi-skimmed milk to consistency of double cream poured over cereal or fruit salad, so that may be a gentler way to try to improve your digestion for the longer term, once you're back & not worried about a flare away from home. 

Yes, you could pack the probiotics & Immodium so you have an option for any eventuality, but bear in mind it may take a little while for your system to reset itself naturally after the upset of the antibiotics.  All those lovely Greek veggies dishes with olive oil may be asking a bit much of it too in its current delicate state, so you may need to choose wisely when you eat out!

Do the mindfulness thing while you're there - focus on the lovely sea, the gorgeous mountains, the Spring greenery, really listen to the sound of the waves, feel the breeze on your skin, the sand under your feet - anything that grabs your attention & diverts you from worrying about what's going on in your body.  The weirdness of menopause can so overshadow everything but the change in surroundings might just be enough to give you a break from its grip.  I really hope so.  We would move to Greece tomorrow if we could, so I envy you the holiday.  Have a really fab time & keep cool!  :)

Jillm

« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »

Wrensong,
Again thank you so much for your very thoughtful advice.
I am hoping I can calm down by next week, I feel the anxiety rising, palpitations are back and of course now I am panicking, this doesn't help digestion either.
I am so worried I will spend the whole week in a state of panic and ruin it for my husband and daughter, this is meant to help her de stress after her exams.
I used to love going on holiday, but now it makes me so nervous. What is wrong with me, am I nuts?
I will focus on all the lovely things about being in Geeece🍸⛱🏝

CLKD

« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »

LIVE Greek yoghurt.  'natural' is different ;-)

Wrensong

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »

CLKD by natural I meant without added fruit/sugar/flavourings etc & yes it must be live, but most yoghurt we buy in the UK i.e. from chiller cabinets, will be live.  Just the long life stuff that I presume isn't & I haven't seen that on sale for years, but if you know otherwise please put me right!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12