Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Endometrial Biopsy - so scared!  (Read 9909 times)

Jeana1

Endometrial Biopsy - so scared!
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »

Hi ladies

I am really scared, I have bad health anxiety so this is making me almost sick with fear. I am 54 have a mirena coil and take 3 pumps of estrgel, I have had on occasion had some brown discharge (mirena has been i for 1 year) I mentioned it to my gp who took a swob came back fine, I then mentioned it to the consultant gynae and he said just to monitor it and let him know at my next appointment how often it was happening, my next appointment was weeks away and i had some brown discharge again (old blood) so I called his secretary and left a message for him that I was worried sick about it, he called and arranged for a scan, in the middle of this I went to see my gp again about it, she gave me an examination and said my cervix looked fine, anyway I had the scan and got a letter from the consultant today saying the lining is 5mm and its ok but on balance he will arrange a endometrial biopsy when i see him next which isnt for another 5 weeks then probably another week at least after that before I get the biopsy, I am so scared about waiting for this and then the results, I am struggling really bad with terrible thoughts about "you know what" I think I just think it's all going to be bad news, I am really frightened.

Kathleen

Re: Endometrial Biopsy - so scared!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »

Hello Jeana1.

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so worried.

I'm sure some other ladies will be along soon but I thought I'd mention that I have had brown discharge on many occasions and all was fine. I've also had extensive bleeding and a womb lining of 4.9mm and a hysteroscooy and biopsy was normal.  I subsequently reduced my oestrogen and the bleeding stopped. You may need to tweak your hormones a little but hopefully all will be well.

Wishing you well.

K.

Jeana1

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »

Hello Kathleen

Thank you for replying. im glad all was fine for you. I suffer really bad with anxiety and know i'll just have to somehow deal with this but my mind is all over the place!

Thanks again for you quick response i'm literally glued to the screen waiting for replies!

Jeana x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »

I believe that should there be any worry of something sinister you wouldn't have to wait such a long while  ;)

Brown is old blood, I would get that at the end of each period: painful bleed a lot with clots for 2 days, then 3/4 days of bleeding then a gap of 2-3 days then the brown blood. 

Jeana1

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thank you for getting back to me with your message, I am just freaking out about it but I suppose all I can do is wait, I did think about asking if I could be seen sooner to get it done and at least I wouldn't have to wait so long for the results, my head is racing!  I wonder how much it would cost to go private and get in quicker?

Thanks

Jeana

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:51:52 PM »

I would ring the Dept to see if it's possible to have a cancellation if someone fails to show. 

5mm is after all 'within normal limits'  ;)

Jeana1

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »

Thank you CLKD , I will call on Monday morning.

Jeana

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

Let us know!

Tc

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »

Jeana. So sorry you are having this worrying wait.
I hope you take some comfort from Kathleen's experience.
I have just had an urgent scan which turned out to be nothing sinister and the odds are yours will be fine too.
There is no point in me telling you not to worry but please try to think of it as a precaution. Something done just to be on the safe side.

Keep posting. There is so much support on here and you are certainly not alone in your health anxiety.
Xxxx

Jeana1

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 06:17:53 AM »

Hi Tc

Thank you for your reply, Im glad your scan went well and yes it was helpful to hear from Kathleen. I struggle badly with anxiety, I have just finished a diazepam taper after being on it for 18 months, it's been difficult, my anxiety is sky high I have been awake since very early with my mind constantly looping all these negative thoughts trying to think more positive but it's difficult.
I will call and leave a message for the consultant tomorrow and see if I can have this done sooner.

Thank you again

Jeana

AgathaC

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 08:36:59 AM »

I think that the consultant is happy with you at the moment but thinks he will do the biopsy in 5/6 weeks as part of your ongoing review/treatment/care. I have health anxiety and panic all the time  and I am the 1st to worry about everything and anything BUT  I really honestly think your case that if hevwas concerned he wouldn't be waiting until your next appointment.  He's waiting to see what happens.  Try and take what he said at face value and rest easy Xx

Jeana1

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »

Hello AgathaC

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, as you can see by my quick response I'm glued to the screen waiting for replies! My husband has said pretty much what you have said but I just can't seem to stop freaking out! I hate the fact that he just wrote to me and seemed so "matter of fact" in his letter, I suppose you may be correct in what you say as he may have made the appointment already if he was overly concerned, my mind is playing awful tricks on me, that's the anxiety, it's pretty bad atm.

I am registered with an online consultant gynae too and she said not to worry but I'm finding it hard, I must try and stay calm as it's not helping freaking out like this.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

Jeana

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »

The written word is static.  Why not listen to your husband  ;)  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 07:17:39 PM »

Hi Jeana1

I hope you haven't been glued to the screen since this morning and have had a relaxing Sunday free from worry!

In your position I wouldn't worry one jot! Heavens my last two scans my lining was about 7.5 mm although admittedly I don't have a Mirena so it was on a prog free part of the cycle. Really though 5 mm is normal in my book - it's only a tiny weeny bit above the levels they like to keep post-meno women's lining at, which is I think 4.5 mm? I don't think mine has ever been that on HRT.

It's good that you are referred though because any bleeding that is abnormal for you, even while on HRT, should be investigated. If you are post-meno then random bleeding or spotting should stop after around 6-9 months but not always. Do you know whether you are post-menopausal though? If not then it could just be your cycle?

As the others have said - this does not fall into the category of the urgent 2 week referral - which would be the case for post-menopausal (uterine) bleeding in the absence of taking HRT which would be much more of a worry as where does the blood come from if not a thickened lining?

Please try to relax and look at it as a great opportunity to check the health of your uterus and the effectiveness of the Mirena. Maybe you have a small fibroid or polyp which can cause bleeding? Did you suffer from these before or endometriosis in the past?

Take care and try to occupy your time with other things so you're not dwelling on your uterus and bleeding!

Hurdity  x

Jeana1

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 06:46:10 AM »

Hello Hurdity

Thank you for your reply, I didn't see it until this morning and I had been glued to the screen not sure why your reply did not show until this morning.
Yes i am post meno had that confirmed a couple of yours ago with a blood test, I had a mirena before this one and had no problems with it, this one has been in for 1 year and I started the gel around 8 months ago, I was taking 4 pumps at one point but dropped it down to 3 about 2 moths ago as it was giving me jitters. I have not had any problems in that neck of the woods no polps etc, I had a scan internal and external about 6 months ago due to needing to pee a lot they would have seen a polp then i think, they said my mirena was in the correct position, they put the frequent need to pee down to my anxiety which is pretty bad tbh

When I had this latest scan last Monday to Dr who did it said it was fine so I freaked out when the Consultants letter said on balance we'll do a Endometrial Biopsy, I just get so scared about everything, I have health anxiety its really tough to deal with and to try and distract myself.

I am hoping to get a message to him this morning to see if he can do this sooner so I have less time to worry, I know what ever the result is will be the same no matter how long I have to wait but I cant sleep properly with this worry.

Thank you again for your reply

Jeana
Pages: [1] 2 3 4