Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: NEW to this nightmare of peri menopause  (Read 1153 times)

K8Y

NEW to this nightmare of peri menopause
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »

Hi I'm Katy. Been suffering since Jan and I'm losing the will to live

Had a panic attack in January and since I've been struggling with anxiety, itchy skin on hands, legs tingling, headaches and back pain but the anxiety is awful.

What do people take, I take about 10 different vitamins now each day, also flax seed on porridge and black currant seed oil. Today I bought 5HTP as I need to stop these moods and anxiety as it's ruining my life

My question is can I demand tests at the doctors re my hormones. My doctor dismissed peri menopause as I'm 44 and she said they wouldn't test me until 50  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: NEW to this nightmare of peri menopause
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »

Another ignorant GP  :bang: :bang: :bang:  menopause can start at any age, in fact some girls have 1 period then nowt.  One can't insist on NHS tests for anything but you should have been offered advice at the very least!

Anxiety often appears with hormonal upheaval.  Many think that HRT is the answer but until you get a GP to listen to you then anti-anxiety medication might help: I also use Rescue Remedy mouth spray and an emergency pill to take when anxiety floors me.

As oestrogen levels drop the skin may become dry: inside and out - skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina  :o : do read our threads.  Make notes.  Also low levels may cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains.  Do make sure that your seating positions are comfortable and supporting, also that you wear appropriate footwear  ;)

Do you have a Practice Nurse ?  She may know more about menopause than your GP seems to.  The earlier one begins peri menopause the more important it is to cover bones, which HRT can help with, as well as protecting heart.  "they" being who exactly?  I could spit bricks that GPs are still not getting the message!

Panic attacks are awful.  Any idea what the trigger might have been?  Eating every 3 hours can help ....... as anxiety can surge when the body is hungry.

JaneinPen

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »

Hi K8Y. Your GP needs a good kick up the bum. I was 42 when I started the meno and by 50 had been more than the one year with no period so making you wait is ridiculous. Is there anyone else at your practice you could talk to?

K8Y

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »

Wow thank you so much for your reply. My panic attack I believe was down to the 2nd anniversary of my brother passing and I think it has all stemmed since then. I have been writing down my symptoms on days but didn't think about what things I might be eating to trigger things. Will definitely start to do that. I asked work if they have a policy on helping people cope with working round symptoms but they don't although my boss is quite good and wouldn't mind me working from home etc if needs be but it's just how you cope and get out of bed every day. My periods are very heavy but for a shorter period of time but having to have a tampon and towel and literally feeling it flowing is awful. I think I need to sit and make notes like you say and then try different methods to see what suits me and works. Thank you for your comments though as when this first hit me I honestly thought I had a serious problem and was dying. People just don't talk about it other than hot flushes. I have since made sure I have told my partners girls of my symptoms as I feel awareness is needed.

K8Y

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:31:14 PM »

I think I will see the practice nurse and see what happens with her. Acupuncture is helping me a little. I'm trying everything  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »

Anniversatires can certainly be triggering and it would help if I could spell  >:(  ::)

Welcome to our World.  Ask what you like.  We have threads about most things, we even talk about menopause sometimes  :D The important 1 to read is vaginal atrophy  :D

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Taking notes to appts. can help too.