Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Progesterone side effects  (Read 4178 times)

kdee69

Progesterone side effects
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:56:20 PM »

Real apologies if there is a sticky somewhere but I keep reading on various threads about people's
reactions or intolerances to Progesterone. Can someone explain a bit more?

Turkish delight

Re: Progesterone side effects
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »

Hia Kdee!

Are you having some issues with it?

I've been on it/Utrogestan taken vaginally for a couple of months and get extreme fatigue starting on day 8 but only from 10 pm onwards.
By then I've done all I need to do for the day and I'm slumped in the chair by 10 pm. Don't have a nightlife to speak of so it's ok.

If you don't have an issue yourself then try not to fixate on the negs. Truth is we are all different so you may not be able to draw any comparisons with someone else anyway. I was apprehensive before starting it, I'm prone to headaches and bloating etc so was worried, but Dotty taught me to take each day at a time and don't over think it.

Peace out
TD

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »

Hi,
Oh yes, the lovely progesterone........
It really is a case of trial and error.  I had awful side effects with norethysterone and utrogestan 🤮🤢, but I am great with no side effects at all with dydrogestone (femeston). Some people have no side effects with any of them, some with all of them..
I was the same with pill back in the day- took me a long time to find one that suited.
My side effects are nausea, bloating spots etc, but also like i've been on amphetamines or something- drives me around the bend in term of insomnia, twitchyness, anxiety,  low mood not nice.
The strange thing is, that now i've Found one that suits I am so good on my progesterone part of the cycle , better than just the oestrogen, so I am liking it a lot!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:55:21 AM by Sgtvhilts »

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »

I am highly progesterone intolerant but can handle Utrogestan so long as it's buffered by my 4 pumps of Oestrogel.

A few weeks back I wasn't absorbing the gel (too rich a shower cream creating a skin barrier) so my own progesterones be had free reign. I felt dreadful, had forgotten how nasty it makes me feel. I had:

Twitching
Headaches
Nausea (but starving at the same time)
Constipated
Sore gums
Horrible feelings of dread
Poor sleep
Very low mood
Felt like I was just screaming deep inside all the time

My reaction to progesterone is severe though. Back when I tried Femoston I genuinely felt suicidal and I had to see a community psychiatric nurse. He couldn't understand how I could feel perfectly normal at breakfast and be suicidal by lunch, when I was obviously not bi polar.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »

Hi Birdy

Low oestrogen can be very dangerous for your mental health. It's no coincidence that womens' suicide rates peak between 50-54.

Have you been watching the series on post partum psychosis on the BBC news yesterday and today. Very, very interesting to watch and also heart breaking. I expect the car crash of fluctuating hormones post birth is very similar to what happens in peri menopause.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »

Hello Ladies

I have never really worked out of my symptoms are due to oestrogen being too low or progesterone intolerance.  I got up to three Oestrogel pumps but couldn't go any higher due to bleeding and I've been using Utrogestan vaginally. Whatever I do I seem to be stuck with a variety of symptoms, mainly mood swings ( felt fine yesterday but crap today, no idea why as nothing has changed ).

I have also been watching the series on post partum psychosis and my heart goes out to those women. In fact it made me wonder if I am progesterone intolerant as I never had any mood issues during my pregnancies or after giving birth.  My pmt was also mild and fleeting but the menopause rollercoaster has had me in it's grip for too long now!

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »

Hi Kathleen

Prof Studd said that a classic symptom of progesterone intolerance is feeling great during pregnancy but then crashing after the birth and ending up with PND.

Letmein

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »

I too fared badly on ultrogestan and after 3 cycles gave it up. My main issue was severe bloating, spots, feeling of doom, but worse was when my period started and I suffered from extreme dizziness, lightheadness, anxiety, pins and needles and felt awful.

It was almost 12 mths ago. I now believe that the latter symptoms was actually from too much oestrogen as I was still peri. I am now 12xmom5hs without a period, symptoms of dizziness and anxiety are much better but sleep is dreadful despite months of meditation and with that the low energy, totsly brain fog which are starting to have a very detrimental effect on my work.

I am therefore considering going back on hrt, conti this time and it is reassuring to read  Sgtvhilts that going on femoston worked for you. I think I'm going to ask my gp for this one and see how I go.

Perinowpost

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »

That's interesting to know GRL I always felt fantastic while pregnant (once I'd got over the morning sickness) x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Prof Studd said that a classic symptom of progesterone intolerance is feeling great during pregnancy but then crashing after the birth and ending up with PND.

I thought this was due to oestrogen deficiency? Both oestrogen and progesterone levels are extremely high during pregnancy but the combination makes us feel good, if a bit tired! I understood that the Studd explanation for PND was the oestrogen crash rather than prog intolerance,  which is why he replaces oestrogen post-natally to good effect in such women?

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 02:38:42 PM »

Hello again Ladies.

To clarify, as this may help some ladies, I felt great during both of my pregnancies and only had a few episodes of extreme tiredness ( I feel asleep at my desk on one occasion lol).  The thing is I didn't have PND after having my babies,  just the one day of baby blues and that was it.

Although grateful for all of the above my hormones have misbehaved big time during the menopause and I have yet to find an HRT regime that I am truly happy with.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Rosie63

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »

Hi Kathleen.  I was interested to read your post and hope you don't mind me asking but how many HRT's have you tried and how long have you been on your current regime?  The reason I ask is that I've tried several and,like you, haven't found one that I'm really happy with and I'm not sure if it's because my oestrogen levels are still low or it's the progesterone that's the problem.  I have a feeling that it's the oestrogen as I don't really feel any different when I take it cyclically. 

Thanks.

Rosie63 x