Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel (0.06%) and Progesterone)  (Read 2174 times)

kdee69

Oestrogel (0.06%) and Progesterone)
« on: April 03, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »

After two very successful years on HRT tablets I came off as my migraines were off the scale (4/7 days) and unfortunately my GP was more than happy to encourage me to discontinue taking it -she actually said she felt I'd be better off without it. So without getting into the rights or wrongs of that, I've had seven months of sheer hell with still the same level of migraine symptoms but a full blown menopause to boot. Sweats, emotional 😭 and 🤬 and 🥵 -actually there are 100 emojis on here to describe how I feel. And the forgetfulness and brain fog- omg! Wtaf!! I feel like a 90 year old woman. All this with a new job to boot 😑. So after taking a cocktail of supplements all of which never made me feel like I did when on HRT, I finally researched that transfermal HRT gel with Progesterone tablets could be an option for women with migraines. 👍🏼  It was like someone had given me a pass out of this sh*t. I went and was prescribed the gel and tablets on Monday and am feeling positive -though obviously it's not kicked in yet. Problem is I saw a locum who was unclear about the Progesterone to prescribe and gave me 75mcgs desogestrel (Cerlelle) which has 28 days continuous tablets in with no break and not the 12-14 that I'd been expecting. She herself was unsure. Never a good sign 🙄. Any advice would be helpful👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Dancinggirl

Re: Oestrogel (0.06%) and Progesterone)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 08:45:00 AM »

Hi kdee69

How old are you?  If you not truly post menopause (more than 12 months without a period or over 54) then you should have a sequential HRT regime and alongside the daily Oestrogel you should take either Utrogestan or Provera for 12-14 days of each month. We despair on this forum - GPs are so rarely up to speed on menopause treatment.  Do look under TREATMENTS on this site (top the page and then look under progesterones), print off the relevant info and take this into the surgery to give to the GP who should then prescribe you the correct progesterone. In the mean time, you can start the Oestrogel. Good luck and let us know how you get on. 
I suffer with bad headaches and since coming off HRT they have got worse - I'm 63 and very post menopause.   DG x

kdee69

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »

Hi, thanks so much for this - I'm 54 and am 12 months plus period free. But you are absolutely correct - I'm so glad I posted-  she obviously banged out any old progesterone .I've just made another appt. I'm unsure now of what to do as i can't get in to the doctors till 23rd April. So don't know whether to keep taking the current Progesterone till then or just take it for 14 days and stop or don't take it at all. grrrr...

I'll print out the links as you suggested - god what a mess :(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »

You could continue with the progesterone and then switch to the new one when you get it OR you could stop taking it now (you might get a bleed & that is normal) and then start the new progesterone when you get it.   When taking any progesterone continuously you often get some break through or erratic bleeding for the first few weeks or even months.  You can use the progesterone either continuously or sequentially as it is fine to stick with a sequential regime into post menopause.  Some women find progesterone challenging when used continuously so they stay with a sequential regime to reduce the side effects, although you do have to put up with monthly bleeds with a sequential regime.
You shouldn't actually need to see the GP - just write a letter with the print outs enclosed and they could then issue the correct prescription.   
All the information about how to take the different progesterones are on this page from this site:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

You could consider having a Mirena which is often the least problematic of the progesterone options - I certainly found the Mirena to be quite good and caused me the fewest problems.

Good luck. DG x

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »

Hi the progesterone pill that you have been prescribed is not suitable for hrt .

Ask for Utrogestan 100mg. As you are post menopause then you can take it continuously (non bleed.) I take it continuously without any problems.

I would contact your doctors and explain that you have been issued the incorrect medication. They should put it right without you having to wait till the end of April . X

kdee69

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:06:36 AM »

All thank you so much

Dotty-I have a f2f tomorrow thankfully. I am armed with the info. But have some questions I'll need to know the answers to that she may ask. So re the Utrogestan 100mg, I'm 12 months plus without a bleed and 54 so I can take this continuously im reading? And what is the difference then between what she had originally prescribed me (desogestrel) and this? Thank you so much by the way!

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »

Yes you can take the Utrogestan continuously if you are post meno.

The pill you have been prescribed does not contain enough progesterone to protect the womb for hrt. X

kdee69

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 06:45:02 AM »

Thank you!!  :-*

kdee69

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 06:00:27 AM »

Hi. The doctor gave me Utrogestan 100mg and I pick it up today. I will take it continuously as I'm 54 and 12 months plus no bleed. Quick q-I'm two weeks into the pack of the original wrong Progesterone-should I wait till I've finished them or just switch straight away?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice also

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:45 AM »

Just switch straight away. The difference in progestogen may result in spotting or a bleed but don't be alarmed as in any case some bleeding or spotting is expected within the first 6 months of continuous combined HRT. Hope it goes well for you :)

Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »

Switch straightaway x