Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Prozac and HRT  (Read 3406 times)

Bradenton69

Prozac and HRT
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »

Hi there

Does anyone have any experience of taking both?

I am back at GP this week and will have to, I think, up doze.  Anxiety back and being very tearful.  Have that hopeless feeling again and wanting to avoid the world.  From the minute I arrive in work my stomach is in butterflies and want to keep running to the toilet!!  Heart racing and feeling hopeless and sad that 20mg has stopped helping.  Felt so good there for a while!!!

To top off having blazing rows with my husband and I know I am being totally irrational but just feel he is goading me.  His words I am being sensitive but I dont think I am.  History of problems with his family and its starting again to affect us. 

Currently I am anxious, another anxiety attack on the plane the other day, IBS all over place, acne and bones/muscles killing me.  Also hair getting really thin to point of seeing scalp at one side.  Lets not start also on lack of sleep  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Could just get in my car and drive away!!!

Dont know where to start with this on Friday so any help would really appreciate it.

Have been told that HRT might flare up my endometriosis again but willing to take a chance if it would help.

Tc

Re: Prozac and HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »

Bradenton69.
Just wanted to say sorry you are having such a rough time. There are ladies on here who know about HRT and endo. And also about taking AD'S alongside HRT hopefully they will be along soon to offer advice
You are not alone in the way you are feeling  I hope you get it sorted at your appointment. X

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »

Perhaps Prozac is no longer working or is not one for you. Perhaps ask to try something else.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »

Hi,
You sound utterly frazzled. It does seem so crowd in on us, I felt like that a year ago.
. I take both and ssri's and Hrt.  Not Prozac, but paroxitine- same family.
I have been on ssri's for the best part of 30 yrs.  Horrendus anxiety, since a child really.
I have to say that I am a real advocate of these drugs and who knows where I would be now without them. Sure they have side effects, but nothing,as far as I am concerned is worse than anxiety/depression.
I started HRT last year as the ssri's alone were not doing much for the increasing brain fog, night sweats- well you know the drill.
Ssri's are always tricky to start as they can make your symptoms worse for a bit ( no more than 3 weeks).
I have had some shenanigans with hrt and have now reverted back to what I started on- so I am now good.
As for families- well I know all to well “can't live with ‘em, but can't live without them either”
As for,the endometriosis- can't really comment, but one thing I do know from years of experience is the ‘cost/benefit' conundrum. Ask yourself what is the worst problem, ask what you can tolerate, what is a red line weigh up the pro's and cons.
It could make your endo worse, but it could transform your mental health?

Bradenton69

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »

thanks everyone.  Just wish I could take one tablet for the 1st time and thats it sorted.  Having to try this and try that, add this dosage etc scares me.  At present I am having up to 6 flushes a day and dont even start me on the night sweats!!  This might not be a huge amount  :'( but is really affecting me also.

Wish, wish, wish.......

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 01:28:51 PM »

Doesn't really matter what your symptoms are , or how many you have- if it is bothering you it is a problem. Some people might say that mine weren't that bad,but they were to me.
Night sweats are truly hideous.
I was amazed how quickly HRT changed me and controlled my symptoms.
What have you got to lose in trying stuff.
Yes I am with you on the one pill for everything, guaranteed to work- what a dream, us humans though are resistant to such luxury.

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »

thanks everyone.  Just wish I could take one tablet for the 1st time and thats it sorted.  Having to try this and try that, add this dosage etc scares me.  At present I am having up to 6 flushes a day and dont even start me on the night sweats!!  This might not be a huge amount  :'( but is really affecting me also.

Wish, wish, wish.......

Does sound like the Prozac is not working. How long have you been on it?

racjen

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »

Yes, I was going to ask the same question - how long have you been on Prozac for? Doctors tell you they can take at least 6 weeks to really start working, I've heard of them taking even  longer and in that start-up period it can be very up and down. I've been on mirtazapine for 5 weeks and some days I think I'm feeling a bit better, others are just as bad as ever - depression and/or anxiety. To be honest it's not really doing anything for the anxiety so far. Prozac is the other one that was offered, but I don't seem to get on with SSRIs so am going to stick with this, probably go up to the higher dose next week, and hope it does eventually yield real results.

debra217

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »

Hi - I had been on Prozac for 10 years for depression but felt latterly my symptoms were more menopause related.  I have been on hrt around 5 months and managed to come off the Prozac. The Prozac worked well for me in keeping me "stable" but I had no sex drive on it and felt 10 years was long enough.  I've successfully been of Prozac for 3 months now so fingers xd I can stay off it. No depression but still suffer anxiety, irritability and a bit of weepiness.  Low dose hrt has relieved my physical symptoms which were not really that bad but definitely not a cure all. 

I have found it really difficult finding a doctor who understands menopause and treatment!  Seems pot luck.  Good luck getting a combination that works for you  :)

Bradenton69

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

I've been on it since mid December. Once side effects lifted I felt great but last 2 weeks have been bad again with last 2 days horrendous. I am beyond sensitive and struggling not just at home but today at work was horrendous

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 07:45:42 PM »

I had an AD for about 7 years then it pooped out because my brain became used to it.  I found that my brain needed a different combination after a few years to kick start support.  I also alter my dosage - if I wake depressed for more than 3/4 mornings I up from 10mg at night and 5mg in the morning by adding 5mg at breakfast.  After 3/5 days my brain feels better.

Tc

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »

Prozac never worked for me anxiety wise in the past  (I havent taken it post meno). It gave me a lift and certainly helped with depression. I was also put on it for eating disorder as it's supposed to help with compulsive disorders  but it never did anything for my anxiety.
Everyone is different of course. And not all ADs seem to have the same qualities although ssris all work in the same way
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »

Prozac made me  :cuss:  ::)