Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1497 times)

Midget2000

« on: March 15, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the site, I joined a couple of days ago after my HRT was changed and I searched for information on alternatives.

I started going through the menopause when I was  41, I had missed four periods and went to the GP just thinking it would be 'one of those things' as did my GP but after tests it was early menopause. I was referred to an endocrinologist just to make sure there was nothing else going on but there wasn't.

I started on HRT in January 2015 when I was 42, mostly due to symptom relief. It wasn't until I'd been on it a month that I realised just how bad I had been feeling. The endocrinologist and my GP said it was a good idea to be on it anyway to protect my bones and heart. I had a DEXA scan and my bones are fine. I run 15 ish miles a week and they said that will help.

We have one child who was born just before I turned 40 and that was after six miscarriages so we count ourselves very lucky that she is here. It makes me wonder if it's got anything to do with an earlier menopause. My Mum was late 40's early 50's. It will be interesting to see what age my three younger sisters go through it.

Cazikins

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »

:welcomemm: Midget2000

You'll get lots of advice & support on here - we're a great bunch of woman who have loads & loads of experience.

Cazikins
 :cat48:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »

Hi Midget2000

I had an early menopause.  Mine started soon after I had my second child at 33 but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 35.  I'm now 63 and I used HRT for roughly 25 years, with a gap in my early 50s due to all the ridiculous cancer scares that came out back in 2002.  I went 3 years without HRT before going back on HRT at 53 - I describe those 3 years as the lost years as I really struggled without HRT. 
I did find the Mirena with Oestrogel was my best HRT option but finding the best HRT combo for you will be trial and error.  As you are still peri menopause you will probably be getting hormone fluctuations which can cause issues at times and adjusting the HRT as your own hormone levels decline can help.

Sadly for me, I started to get more side effects from HRT as I progressed through my late 50s and decided to stop at the age of 60.  I have had to adjust my life to cope with the oestrogen deficiency, poor sleep and lack of energy being the worst symptoms.   You are lucky that there is more knowledge around these days but don't be surprised if you still get told that HRT is unnecessary or dangerous - not listen to this.  My top tip would be to stay on HRT for as long as possible to maintain your quality of life. It's not just your heart and bones that are benefiting from HRT - HRT is also vital for bladder function, joints, skin, ability to sleep and your mental health. I'm delighted you are being given the right treatment.  You might want to add in vaginal oestrogen  and vaginal moisturisers if you find your vagina gets dry.
My mother had an early meno and so did my grandmother - I do think there is a genetic link - but both my sisters went through meno at the normal age of around 50-54. Miscarriages happen for many, many reasons - ovarian failure could be a reason. 
DG x 

Midget2000

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »

Thank you both for your replies, you are right about my own hormones still effecting me sometimes. I still get PMT like symptoms and some months worse than others. It made a huge difference taking HRT though.

Rosie77

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »

Hi Midget2000,  I have been having awful symptoms since age 40.  I went off birth control pills (after 20 years, only stopping twice to have my kids). Fatigue, dizziness, migraines, etc, etc.    I believe I was already in the thick of it and taking away the pill...My hormones took a nosedive.  Drs were very dismissive of me and most had no idea about perimenopause.  Even though my periods were all over the place! 
I finally found a good obgyn and my FSH recently came back at 170.  I had a light period in early Jan which may have been my last.  I started HRT patch and progesterone pill 3 weeks ago.  I am only on .05mg Estradiol patch.  My mood has been better and I feel more motivated. 
I will be 42 in a couple of months and the last 2 years have been a blur.  I am so tired of feeling like a corpse. 
Do you remember about how long it took for you to feel semi human again? 😀.

Tc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »

Midget2000. Welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:15 PM »

Hello Midget2000

Welcome to the mad house.....😀 nice to have you on board..

Jd xx