Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How long before you start to feel back to normal again?  (Read 1397 times)

Holsy

How long before you start to feel back to normal again?
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:51 AM »

Hi

Still a newbie.....

I have the mirena coil - just had it replaced again...and have been using patches 25mg for 8 weeks now....

The hot flushes & night sweats are improving, so is the brain fog, but I still have the nightly hot flushes, mood swings, anxiety and waking up at 4:30 every morning and can't get back to sleep which then kicks off the anxiety.

Do you ever start to feel back to normal again? Or is this it for the next 10 yrs?  :(

jgr

Re: How long before you start to feel back to normal again?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »

Hi, from my point of view you don't. I started the menopause when I was 52, I am now 61 still on HRT and there is always something making me feel yuk. On my good days I just really enjoy them and not try to dwell on the fact I will never be my old self again.  :(

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »

Hi the recommendation is 3 months to see if the hrt is working, but you should start to improve in 6-8 weeks once you are on the right strength and type of hrt.

25mg is a very low dose and you might need to increase it. x

Holsy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 10:23:27 AM »

Hi

Thanks for the replies.....

Sorry Jgr that you are still feeling horrible, I don't think I could cope if it carries on that long. Has your HRT not been changed if it's not working for you? xx

Thanks Dotty....I did try 50mg for 2 weeks after i'd been on the 25mg for 4 weeks, but I felt worse and my oestrogen levels went over the range that the doctors say I need to stay in. I have improved to what I was but I thought everything would have improved by now..... still having iffy days... xx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »

Some symptoms take longer than others. My anxiety & insomnia took most of the 3 months but flushes are usually controlled in a shorter time frame. Perhaps wait the 3 months then review with you doc?

Holsy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »

Thanks Sheila

Are you completely anxious free now then & sleeping well? Are you on patches or tablets?

Glad your treatment has worked for you.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »

Not always 100% but very much better. I would go to sleep OK then wake at 2am and spend the next 4-5 hours worrying about anything & everything. That doesn't happen any more, but I used to sleep solidly for 7 hours and now I seem to get disturbed more easily. Could be an age thing rather than meno though. When I am on too much oestrogen anxiety & insomnia returns. I am on gel so I can vary it but I am still in peri so what my body produces is variable and I don't always get it right. Everything gets so much worse when you're short of sleep, I do hope you see an improvement.

Holsy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »

Thanks Sheila, I'm so pleased that your sleep is better, as you say, lack of sleep is the worst thing.

I'm glad you mentioned that too much oestrogen increases your anxiety & insomnia, as I feel that mine does the same, hence the reluctance to use the full patch. It is so hard to regulate the levels.

A friend who is a doctor (not a GP) has recommended taking melatonin supplements, short term to try to get some order back to my sleep. I can fall asleep no problem, it's just waking at 4am/5am and not being able to get back to sleep that's the killer.