Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Switching from gel to patch - advice?  (Read 1892 times)

Kkay

Switching from gel to patch - advice?
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Hello ladies,

Happy New Year everybody -

I used Estrogel for about 12 years and was largely satisfied but can no longer find it where I live. For the last 2 years I've been using Oestrodose (2.5 puffs a day) and it just doesn't work as well for me. My mood sort of flatlines on it and I lack any enthusiasm for most things, which just isn't me. Also very low energy and verrrrrry foggggggy.

I'm about to give the patch a try for the first time - Climara 50 is what I can get  here- and I am wondering if anyone out there has done the same switch from gel to patch and if they had any particular advice. I take Duphaston as the progesterone every 3 months - 2 pills for 14 days.

I know we are all different and its largely a question of trial and error, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance !

Dancinggirl

Re: Switching from gel to patch - advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »

I personally always found the gel best - I was given Oestrodose a couple of times and found no difference to the Oestrogel.  The only time I tried the patches, I got a big hit on the day the patch was applied and then things subsided quickly after that - but as you say we are all different and so many women love the patches.

Give the patches a try - you may prefer using them. Whether they will be any better at improving mood - I somehow doubt this.  I'm sure you are making good lifestyle choices but I must mention that some Vitamin D, a good diet, the right exercise and some Mindful Meditation might be of help?  DG x

Kkay

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »

Thank you so much Dancinggirl, yes, I'm taking vvitamin D regularly now and trying to look after myself generally.

:) :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:32:40 AM »

Hi Kkay

Before switching to patches why not increase the dose of the gel first to see if that will do the trick? I have only ever used patches and they have always worked for me. I would suggest that the 50 mcg dose might be a bit low compared to 2.5 pumps of gel but as said women absorb different amounts of estradiol from the different methods so it's what suits you. Sorry can't remember how old you are? The only problem with increasing the dose ( if you are post-menopause) is that if you are on a very long cycle HRT (3 months) this does increase the likelihood of endometrial thickening and therefore breakthrough bleeding or spotting before the 10 weeks has elapsed ( ie 10 weeks from finishing the prog to starting the next course). Also consequent higher risk of hyperplasia and potentially cancer. If you go for a higher dose you might have to shorten your cycle by a couple of weeks or even to 2 months? As always it is a compromise! Lucky you to be able to get Duphaston - I would give this a try if it were available here as would many women!

Hurdity x

Kkay

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:24:16 AM »

Hurdity, I thought I had replied to this but I can't see my reply anywhere, so apologies for this verrrry long delay and much gratitude for your feedback.

Hope you're doing well.

Kkay

Otes73

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:13:38 AM »

I did the swap from 3 pumps of gel to 75mg estrodot patch with no problems at all, I get fed up in the winter of waiting for gel to dry and only ever getting oestodose and not estrogel!

I do take utrogeston daily with no break though do to Endometriosis.

Good luck! X

Kkay

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »

Thanks ladies and sorry for the lateness of this reply!