Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrogen and hysterectomy  (Read 5166 times)

Robin

Re: Oestrogen and hysterectomy
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 06:13:55 PM »

Thanks tc,

That makes sense re pathology. It must have been extremely difficult to cope with. I'm so sorry you're going through such a difficult time now. I haven't been posting lately as I haven't been too well but have been reading and thinking of you x

Joaniepat

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »

Hello ladies,

Does anybody know if you are able to continue using oestrogen before, during and immediately after hysterectomy? I think in the past HRT was stopped before most operations but wondered if that had changed since there is no increased risk of clots on oestrogen only patches?

I'm also thinking we would have operations when we were younger and still producing good quantities of oestrogen so using patches during the process wouldn't be much different would it?

Hi Robin,

I should say it would depend on the reason for hysterectomy. Looking back 20 years to when I had my own op, I had it because of a very large fibroid. I had to take medication beforehand to knock out my own oestrogen production. It was for about 14 days before surgery as far as I remember, and the idea was that it would shrink the fibroid a bit and make surgery easier. I was told that if endometriosis was found during surgery the ovaries would also be removed. It was, and they were. Because of the endometriosis I had to wait about 6 or 8 weeks before starting HRT, and then went onto Premarin. Recovery was slow until I got the Premarin because the hot flushes kept me awake, but I was fine once I started sleeping better.

I don't know if this is any help? I was 48 when I had it done.

Best wishes,

JP x

Tc

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »

Joaniepat makes an excellent point.

Thank you Robin. Its very much appreciated.  I think it's a good idea to gather information before considering surgery and be prepared.

Clarekins it realy isnt just you.  But It all starts to come together gradually.
And if you are walking regularly it will be easier to get back into your usual exercise routine when the time is right.
Xxx

Robin

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »

Hi JP,

Im still peri menopausal (similar age to you were) and do have endometriosis,fibroids and an ovarian cyst but I've been fine in that respect with a high dose HRT so far. The hysterectomy wouldn't be for those reasons so I'm hoping that it might be possible to continue with the patch. I'm just struggling at the moment and trying to consider what options I might have in the future. Trying to reassure myself I suppose that it may be a possibility at some point if need be.

Thanks x

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:36:28 PM by Robin »

Robin

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »

That website looks really good Clare thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »

Don't worry about finding your way round the site, we catch up with you eventually  ;).  Let us know how you get on?

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

Hi Yorkshire girl,

Did you have your hysterectomy recently?

Thanks
Had my hysterectomy & ovaries removed in Dec 16 aged 44 my GP did explain why it was 6 weeks but can't really remember, everything was a blur, mind you I couldn't drive for 6 weeks.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:40 PM »

Hi Robin

Are you thinking of a hysterectomy to improve mood and anxiety levels? I was very tempted by one as both Prof Studd and Annie Evans rated the benefits of the operation very highly.

Annie Evans told me she'd had a hysterectomy in her 30s and had insisted they remove her ovaries because she was so sick of PMS.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »

Hi Anna

They said a full hysterectomy had many benefits and shouldn't be considered a last resort. It is meant to be a cure for PMS or PMDD. Also it's obviously a cure for excessive periods, and it removes a site for potential cancer etc.

Robin

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »

Hi Grl,

Yes that's the reason why and am also progesterone intolerant. Oestrogen and testosterone make a really big difference to me but I'm dreadful on progesterone. It would be a really big decision to make and not one I would take lightly but I am considering it. It really interesting that both professor studd and Anne Evans rate it. Have you improved enough to not need to consider it?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »

Anna, I'm afraid you won't have much chance of getting the operation in the NHS. It's easier going private, but not a given. Prof Studd did say he had a few surgeon colleagues who were very sympathetic to women needing the operation.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »

Hi Robin

I had begun to hope that I was virtually cured as it's been over 4 months since I had any symptoms. And prior to that blip in November I'd had a symptom free summer too.

But, a couple of weeks ago my mood really dipped again and I had an early bleed before I'd even started the Utrogestan phase. It also felt like I'd ovulated eventhough my 4 pumps is meant to suppress my cycle.

Now, this dip could be due to a new shower cream reducing my Oestrogel absorption as I started using it about a month ago. But, I don't really know? I switched back to my old shower gel at the weekend and by Monday felt normal again. But this morning I woke to find I've got another too early, very light flow and my mood has crashed again.

Just don't know what is going on at the moment. And I hate not knowing.

Robin

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

It sounds very much as though your own hormones are still fluctuating even with the high dose.

I'm on high dose patch (equivalent to your gel) and am absorbing well but when my own hormones fluctuate I struggle. I think it's my own progesterone which causes it as it's alway been a problem for me. I'm assuming this will continue until I hit menopause.

I feel better than I have for years when I'm on oestrogen only as long as my own hormone levels don't fluctuate too much but I can't face the hell of using progesterone for the rest of my life. I'm not making any decisions yet about hysterectomy just trying to find out as much as I can about it.

It's so difficult trying to work out what's going on but it would make sense that anything that leaves a residue on the skin would affect absorption so you might be on to something there.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »

Yes, I really struggle when my own hormones fluctuate and progesterone is just pure poison for me.

I've always been progesterone intolerant hence my PMS and PND. At university I tried the Pill and sank into a bleak mood within 3 weeks of starting it!

When I tried Femoston 1/10 and 2/10 I felt great on the oestrogen tabs but my mood was almost suicidal on the combined tabs. People don't understand how dreadful it can make you feel, do they?

Funnily enough I do fine on my 7 days of Utrogestan but I suspect that's because it's well buffered by my high dose of oestrogen. It does make me sleepy though.

Can you not even tolerate 100mg of Utrogestan for just 7 days a month?

Robin

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »

No unfortunately not. Utrogestan was the worst of the lot for me. I'm on a long cycle which is helpful though

It sounds as though our hormonal experiences over the years have been very similar. It's so difficult to know what to do for the best isn't it especially when doctors have little understanding of menopause
Pages: 1 [2]