Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello ladies  (Read 2321 times)

Rosie77

Hello ladies
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »

Hello all, I am new to the forum.  :) Having a rough time for the last couple years. Diagnosed a couple of months ago with Vestibular Migraine due to hormonal fluctuations.  My occasional migraines became chronic when I turned 40.  I went off of long term BCP, then all hell broke loose. Heart palpitations, aches, pains, you name it.  My periods became erratic.  Then, the daily dizziness, off balanced, awful fatigue. I am barely functioning. I have been on nortripyline since Jan to try and control the migraines. Which are now constant.  10+ per month.

I am soon to be 42, my FSH bloodwork was sky high, last period was in Jan, however, my obgyn said it was highly unlikely I would have another period.  I have just started HRT last week. Estradiol Patch and progesterone pill. 

Anybody have any luck with migraines settling while on HRT?  I have an appointment soon with my neurologist to discuss the nortripyline.   Anybody have vestibular migraine?  Please tell me it gets better  :'( It's all so exhausting!  Thanks for listening!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello ladies
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »

:welcomemm:

Menopause is literally the final monthly bleed.  If your last one was Jan 2019 then you could well have several yet. No one can foretell when the last period will be so for a Consultant to even make such a suggestion  :bang:.  Some ladies find that keeping a food/symptom/mood diary of use. 

My periods waxed and waned for 2/3 years B4 stopping.  I was nearly 6 months without B4 I realised and didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years after my last bleed.   ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Migraines are the PITS  >:(.  At 42 however you will need some protection for bones, heart etc..  Maybe put migraines into the search box and see what pops up, also the nortripyline ........

I'm sure some one will be along.

Rosie77

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »

Thanks CLKD! I wear a liner everyday ;D I am small framed too, so I definitely hope HRT will benefit me. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:10 PM »

By keeping a note of how you are on a daily basis you can decide which symptom you would like to ease first. Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy!

Flaky47

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »

Hi Rosie77

I found the British Menopause Society information on migraines useful when deciding on HRT.

Here's a link for doctor information:

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/migraine-and-hrt/

Where it says 'download tool for clinicians' you can save a PDF of the factsheet.

Here's a link for patients:

https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/migraine-and-hrt/

There's also a link there to download a PDF.

I found it useful to print off both the doctor and patient PDFs, have a good read before the doctor's appointment and then also take them to hand over to the doctor when I went.

Good luck!  :)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »

Hi Rosie77.
I suffer migraines too.
They were really bad before I started hrt, and tbh, some hrt made them worse, until I settled on the one I'm on now. I still get the occasional one, but not so intense, so they're much better now....hope yours start to settle down, they're horrendous aren't they?
Good luck...let us know how you're doing....
Jd xx

Rosie77

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »

Thank you flaky47 and jillydoll,  Thanks so much for your responses.  I am on week 2 now of HRT.  So far, I am sleeping pretty well and My mood is better...I feel a little more motivated.  Still pretty dizzy, but I have been for nearly 2 years! But, hopefully if/when the migraines settle, the dizzies will too! Time will tell  :)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »

Yeah, good luck with it all Rosie77.
Keep posting and let us know how your getting on....

Jd xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »

The dizziness could be wear and tear in the neck, when I move suddenly it makes me go 'oh!' and I feel kind of weird .........

Rosie77

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 12:33:36 AM »

Actually, funny you mention that...I have arthritis in my neck. Years of occupational wear and tear.  Also, I have been getting lots of pain at the base of my skull that shoots up around my head, to my forehead and eyes. The pain just sits there and and throbs like burning pressure.  :'(
I believe it is the occipital nerve...different pain from migraine.  Also, because I have vestibular migraine, I tend to not move my head a lot...cuz I get dizzy.  Terrible neck spasms.  Seeing my neuro and GP.  I think I will get a referral to a pain clinic and ask about a nerve block.  Falling apart here!  ;D

JaneinPen

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 07:58:02 AM »

Actually, funny you mention that...I have arthritis in my neck. Years of occupational wear and tear.  Also, I have been getting lots of pain at the base of my skull that shoots up around my head, to my forehead and eyes. The pain just sits there and and throbs like burning pressure.  :'(
I believe it is the occipital nerve...different pain from migraine.  Also, because I have vestibular migraine, I tend to not move my head a lot...cuz I get dizzy.  Terrible neck spasms.  Seeing my neuro and GP.  I think I will get a referral to a pain clinic and ask about a nerve block.  Falling apart here!  ;D
hi Rosie77. I have advanced osteoarthritis in the top three discs of my neck and it does make me dizzy. The consultant said that the dizziness is one of the symptoms unfortunately. I tend to get it more when I am lying down and turn over. It's like the inside of my head arrives after I have actually moved

Rosie77

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »

Hi Herdwick,  Yup, I am familiar with that feeling...ugh!   I have been on nortripyline for migraine prevention since January, I think to some degree it helped my neck temporarily...but the dose is wearing out...hence more flare ups. My last Xray was 2 years ago, it showed C1-5 with issues. 
Dr wanted an MRI, but my insurance denied it...they required I go through physical therapy and try meds...both of which I have since done. 
I hate getting MRI's...wondering if they can just do another Xray...May I ask how your osteoarthritis was diagnosed?  How do you manage the pain and prevent further damage?  Thanks!