Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How to start sequential hrt  (Read 2141 times)

Sparkler

How to start sequential hrt
« on: March 15, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

Hi I am new here. Have just been prescribed sequential hrt but the instructions say take progetogen on days 15-25. If my periods are erratic ( 5 in the whole of last year but 3 already this year) how do I decide when to start. Do I have to wait for a period to start counting the days? Also, will I feel effects from the estrogen patch straight away?

Taz2

Re: How to start sequential hrt
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »

Hi Sparkler. It can be confusing when you first start. Which HRT have you been given? There should be instructions on the information leaflet as to when to start treatment.

Hot flushes are usually the first symptom to improve and often this can be within a few days of applying the first patch. Other meno symptoms may take longer. The advice is to try the HRT for at least three months before deciding if it's suitable.

Taz  :welcomemm:

Sparkler

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »

Hi and thank you for replying.

I have evorel patches for continuous use and utrogestan tablets at 200mg for the second half of the month. My question is can I start the patches at any time or do I have to wait for a period to know what ‘day of my cycle' I am on in order to follow the utrogestan instructions. Seeing as I have no idea when P might arrive, I could be waiting a while.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »

That's the same patch I'm on. In the information leaflet it says that if you are having irregular periods and know that you are definitely not pregnant then you can put the patch on straight away.

The day you put the patch on becomes the first day of your cycle and this is what you follow for the Utrogestan.

You will find lots of support and advice on here so any other questions just ask. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Sparkler

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »

Thank you so much :D I though I had read the leaflet but must have missed that part. So lucky to have this forum, so much experience and understanding.
X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »

Yes it's a great place. Why not introduce yourself under New Members.

Taz x

Sparkler

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »

Ok, so day 2 on evorel and I have period type cramps. Is this the evorel? Or maybe my own hormones that were busy anyway. No idea what to think. :-\

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »

It could be the Evorel, your own hormones or a mixture of both. It's a mysterious time of life unfortunately but initial side effects should gradually stabilise. Advice is to try any HRT for at least three months before you can tell whether it is right for you.

Taz x

Sparkler

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »

Thank you so much for your help, Taz.

As an update I did have my own period on day 6, so delayed the utrogestan until day 17, to split the difference between day 15 and day 21 ( yes my maths is poor, too!). Did 11 days of Utrogestan, felt ok until about day 9, and now have no bleed even though my last Utro dose was 5 days ago. Maybe I didn't have enough lining build up to need to bleed?

I had a tiny bit of spotting on the 10th day taking utro, but nothing since. Now feeling headachey but don't really have any other symptoms. Only hot flushes( less severe)  have returned and mild palpitations, but nothing like previously.

Could the 25mg patches be too low a dose? Or maybe my own progesterone is currently peaking, taking over where the Utro left off?

It is so confusing to know what's happening. Libido not returned at all - seems to be on extended holiday at the moment, and dry skin not yet improved. Not feeling worse but hard to say if I am actually feeling better on hrt.

Sparkler
X

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

Hi Sparkler. Thanks for update but sorry to hear you are not feeling great benefits yet. I can't comment on the Utrogestan as I've not used it due to my sensitivity to soya but hopefully someone will be along soon . The 25 patch is very low so it could be that the 50 would make you feel better. It may be worth persevering for the three months though as then you can ask for the higher dose having done as recommended.

As for libido I also found that HRT didn't improve mine and for some women it can dampen it down but it does help make sex easier as it helps improve VA.

Taz x