Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Best vegetarian meat substitutes for non-veggies!  (Read 9554 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Best vegetarian meat substitutes for non-veggies!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 02:34:33 PM »

And slugs, UCK.  :P

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »

:-X  :sick02:  - however, finding half a slug is worse  :o

Shadyglade

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »

No.2 son tells me that chickpeas are very high in protein, so and recipe with those in is good.  Also any of the nut butters.

jaypo

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:02 PM »

It was only because stella started this thread because she wanted help with some veggie food,not meat & quorn isn't an unhelpful choice,the little chunks are full of protein,low salt & no saturated fat,great substitute for say chicken, I would never sit down to a ready meal,veggie or meat,now they ARE full of additives.

Shadyglade

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »

It was only because stella started this thread because she wanted help with some veggie food,not meat & quorn isn't an unhelpful choice,the little chunks are full of protein,low salt & no saturated fat,great substitute for say chicken, I would never sit down to a ready meal,veggie or meat,now they ARE full of additives.

Okay, sorry you are upset but I still don't see why. Food is food. You don't like meat and I don't like additives. Truce, I hope.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »

We cooked a whole chicken last week and had a carcase and bits left so I suggested putting it into the slow cooker with chick peas or lentils and the rest of the roasted veggies.  We were watching MotoGP all weekend on TV so it did us well without needing to think about what to eat, which would be quick.

Pancakes tonight.  Those can be served anyhow though I stick to lots of white sugar and lemon juice.  DH used to cook a layered meal of pancakes with ready cooked mince/peas/veg in between each layer with a slice of cheese - put into the oven it made the cheese melt.  Very filling  8)

One could avoid meat in the above. Now squash in season can be yummy too.  Roasted: seeds removed, cut into large chunks with olive oil and black pepper is lovely and can be eaten cold or chopped and stir fried if there's any left the next day.  We grew a squash in 2016 - it rambled all over the garden  :o  :D

The above is from a person who never cooks  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »

Especially if they enjoy cooking.  The mix can be made in good time and keeps a couple of days in the fridge  ;)

Cooking should be fun but I've never found it so  :-\.  Can't even watch cooking programmes, >yawn<.  Though we did get into bake-off  ::)

A slight meander: when students in the 1970s it was common to go into 'health' food stores: we took 1lb jam jars 2 fill with peanut butter, sunflower oil, rice ....... we could buy as much as we required to keep us going.  We also shopped late at night when market stall holders were keen to get rid of veg as well as end of foods.   We didn't have a freezer for years so used a lot of tinned products.  [we have a thread somewhere about that too  ;D].

Occasionally we go out for a pizza.  Went off fish and chips unless made at home.  Fish fingers I suppose is the one product we buy but avoid TV meals ....... as DH can cook them himself as we have stuff in the freezer.  Mixed fruits and nuts to hand as snacks I love Brazils which I think have 'selenium' in them?  It's about filling up kids, ain't it, I remember having hollow legs  :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:59:23 PM by CLKD »

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »

I don't know why that's a truce!!! I don't like meat NOR additives,if you look online at quorn chunks or mince,they've no additives,I'm not on here to argue but one thing I do know about is vegetarianism & nutrition & I only came on to help Stella out

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »

Cauliflower cheese/macaroni cheese? Leek pie ( leeks, mushrooms in cheese sauce with sliced potoaotes on top topped with tomatoes and cheese/breadcrumbs/herbs baked in the oven (topping also for cauli cheese).

Yes to Quorn products as meat substitute if you're wanting to cook the same food you usually do and if she's happy about meat texture. I realise this is highly processed (mycoprotein) but has high nutritional value. I sometimes use it in spag bol, chili con carne ( no carne or reduced carne!), lasagne etc - it's very tasty if you put loads of tom sauce, herbs, soy sauce and veg in these dishes and the veg is more disguised. Maybe Enchildadas with Quorn instead of chicken?

Any amount of beans and pulses - Asian recipes - not meat substitues but a whole world of yummy dishes waiting to be discovered along with the various spcies and sauces that help make them tasty. Egg curry, spinach dhal, chapattis, cucumber raita, Chinese and Thai beany dishes etc etc

Yes to savoury pancakes - never had Quorn "chicken" but savoury pancakes filled with "chicken" and mushroom sauce - not tried this though....only with actual chicken.

Quiches, cheese souffles etc....

Many reasons to go veggie - not liking meat, not agreeing with animals being kept for slaughter, health reasons (reducing fat intake) and environmental reasons (meat is more energy intensive and less good for our planet at the rate and quantity we consume so eating less of it will help the planet). What your reasons are will determine what you choose to eat instead!

Each to their own - as long as it's balanced, nutrituous and tasty and ideally not highly processed - so Quorn etc in moderation (would be boring to have it all the time anyway!).

Hurdity x

jaypo

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 06:43:25 PM »

Exactly hurdity,it's a great source of protein,which veggies definitely need,I personally never make the same meal twice in any month, I use quorn maybe once or twice a week,just a little,the recipes are endless, I basically make the same for me as I do my OH but just skip the meat in mine,bit hard when I'm cooking him a steak mind you but usually it's not difficult,Chinese stir fries are great but don't think Stella's grandchild likes veg,haha that could cause a bit of a problem but when my daughter was very young I made lots of soups and blitzed them & she never knew 😊

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »

Enchildadas ..... sounds like a scaley animal that lives in a burrow  ;D

We are lucky to have the choice.  Many rely on a bowl of rice and sometimes with meat added in the way of weevils etc..  Also, if we dug up our grazing land it wouldn't help as it often isn't suitable to grow anthying else on - particularly where sheeps are grazed. 

Kids go through phases ...... put a mix on the plate, no comment at what is eaten/not. 

jaypo

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »

I'm not arguing,you haven't given Stella one good bit of advice unlike everyone else and you're one to speak on the euro thread,god forbid anyone who disagrees with you,it's only you who is arguing about quorn. I won't tell you anything about meat and don't you tell me anything about being veggie

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »

As another meander: when ever I read 'quorn' I think of the local Hunting fraternity  ::) as in 'out with the ......... ' which is probably why I would never consider it a food source  ;).  Now, would I know if I were served up quorn ......... without onions of course.  Which brings me to another topic ........

As a recovering anorexic: and knowing that many across the World do not have food choices: we need to eat what we fancy, try new receipts,  :-\  ::) - discard what we don't enjoy ........... and when I think back to the 1950s, there wasn't a choice.  It was take it or leave it.  We ate 3 good meals a day which was usually home grown and home cooked or bartered  :D.  Very few treats in-between meals.  Sweets were for fallen over when we hurt our knees or when we had been really good .........

Enough already!

Shadyglade

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »

I'm not arguing,you haven't given Stella one good bit of advice unlike everyone else and you're one to speak on the euro thread,god forbid anyone who disagrees with you,it's only you who is arguing about quorn. I won't tell you anything about meat and don't you tell me anything about being veggie

Your out of order jaypo. I suggest you calm down and stop being aggressive.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »

Enough ?  :-X

Think of Syria etc..  We have choices  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4