Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best vegetarian meat substitutes for non-veggies!  (Read 9555 times)

Stellajane

Best vegetarian meat substitutes for non-veggies!
« on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:05 PM »

Granddaughter has gone veggie so I'm looking for the tastiest meat substitute products that will be acceptable to the non-veggies in the family. Most of the things we've tried so far have been pretty dull. Recommendations anyone?

Yorkshire Girl

Re: Best vegetarian meat substitutes for non-veggies!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »

Stellajane you may have tried this, but I did Quorn a couple of times - not because anyone was vegetarian - and my son who is a meat lover couldn't tell the difference, both times was a spag bol. Otherwise I can't be much help.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:08:42 PM »

I gave up and cook separate meals for the veggies, the vegan and the meat-eaters!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »

How old is DGD?  If old enough, go shopping with her and let her decide?  I would never not cook meat-based dishes though, if someone wants to avoid foods stuffs that's fine: after all I can't eat onions.

What exactly is she avoiding?  Some who avoid meat continue to eat meat/cheese/eggs otherwise it gets a bit narrow.  If she is less than 25 years old she needs to consider avoiding oestopororis: now! because what we layer onto our bones during our early years/teens is important.  Maybe have a look-see at the Osteoporosis Society for food ideas?

Have a look at Indian/Asian recipes too - we have several vegetable curry dishes which can be served with different sides, usually yogurt based.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »

Hi Stella,I've been veggie for over 25 years now,quorn is good but I'm not sure I'd feed it to a meat eater,my OH isn't veggie and although he's tried and liked my food,he said he could definitely tell it wasn't meat.If you don't really want to cook two separate meals,I'd definitely opt for something with a tasty sauce over it,just to mask the taste of the substitute meat xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

Is there room to grow her own veg. this year: peas, beans, marrows, squash, leeks, chives ........

We eat a lot of oven roasted veg. to go with chicken etc., which I love.  Cooked separately the meat can be avoided. 

Fish fingers and chips with peas.

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »

I can never see the point of veggie meat substitutes. If you don't want to eat meat  why do you need to eat something that is pretending to be like meat. It's just weird.

Quorn is packed with additives and has limited nutritional value.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:20:18 PM by Shadyglade »

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »

Aubergine, Humdinger I HATE aubergine 🍆   :sick02:

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »

I don't eat meat because I love animals, I use substitute meat because it gives substance to a meal,not because it tastes like meat,only meat tastes like meat and I never liked the taste of it anyway

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »

I don't eat meat because I love animals, I use substitute meat because it gives substance to a meal,not because it tastes like meat,only meat tastes like meat and I never liked the taste of it anyway

??? Does that mean if you eat meat you don't like animals. Not sure you meant that.

My mum was vegetarian all her life and never made a fuss. She never ate anything like Quorn or other meat substitutes. They are highly processed and full of additives.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »

Mince means meat!  It's a way of spreading out lamb/beef so that it goes further.  One doesn't mince anything else in the kitchen, i.e. fish  ;)

Mince: shepherds' pie I think is lamb  :-\ some logic there probably.

Stir fried veg. with garlic.  On a bed of rice which has been mixed with ginger to spice it up.  Yummy. 

I can't eat eggs but they can be added to lots of meals as well as making good pancakes  :-*

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »

No, I was speaking about me personally.when I was first vegetarian,there was no meat substitute,bit like with your mum,so when it came out it just complimented whatever I made,instead of curry or lasagne etc just having veg in them,I could now add something extra, I don't cook every meal with them,in fact probably only use it once or twice a week,it may be full of additives as many foods are but for me personally it's healthier than eating a fat saturated burger.
I'm not one of those soapbox veggies,it's my own personal choice and I have no problem cooking my husband a steak or whatever he fancies, I don't criticise meat eaters but in return I don't expect to be criticised
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:22:12 PM by jaypo »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »

I have to fancy what ever I eat anyway so that cuts out stuff.  I can eat i.e. steak once a week for months then suddenly it turns  :-X so I can't consider it  ::).  Same with cheese ............

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

I have to fancy what ever I eat anyway so that cuts out stuff.  I can eat i.e. steak once a week for months then suddenly it turns  :-X so I can't consider it  ::).  Same with cheese ............

I'm like that with salmon. If I eat it too often I start to find it, sort of, too rich and sickly. Then I can't eat it for months.

I wish that worked with chocolate 🍫.   ::)

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »

Hummdinger,you're so right,when I was first veggie it was almost impossible to go out for a meal,as it was basically salad you were offered,I remember being in hospital once and I told the nurse I was vegetarian and I was handed a roll with a slice of tomato in it 😂🤣
I have over 10 LARGE veggie cook books and I eat a very healthy diet,apart from chocolate and crisps 😆 I rarely buy ready made meals as they taste so fake. Oh there is one kind of mince I can eat at Xmas,mince pies 😆
Pages: [1] 2 3 4