Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: RA/Fibromyalgia  (Read 2155 times)

Cassie

RA/Fibromyalgia
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »

Hi Ladies, I thought I would start a new thread to follow on to my previous one asking your opinion on stress induced illnesses, thankyou for your responses.

Just to say that I am intending to see the GP and will hope that he arranges a blood test but in the meantime, whilst I wait, I was hoping for some advice.

I had what I think could be a symptom of fibromyalgia in early January, the soft tissue just above my knee got really sore, if I touched it, nearly went through the roof. No sign of swelling nor any redness just really sore soft tissue and I cannot recall injuring it in any way. It went over after a few days and then a few weeks later I noticed my finger joints feeling a bit stiff and if I pulled on my small finger it felt achy.
Followed on by this a while later the odd burning in my toe and then various aches and pains in my wrists and elbows and I also felt really fatigued for a few days but no swelling in the joints and no heat. I managed a good long walk on the weekend my knees do hurt still and my fingers still feel a bit stiff but no other achy joints. I am so confused after reading up about RA/osteoarthritis and fibroymyalgia, they all seem to have pretty much the same symptoms, thus me wanting a blood test. I am really hoping its not RA but will only know once the blood tests have been taken.  :-\ Anyone else had something similiar?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: RA/Fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:00:39 AM »

Morning!

Osteo arthritis is wear and tear in the joints usually due to us evolving upright.  The pressure from the head plus exercise causes the fluid between the joints to lessen which means that the joints will rub, eventually causing pain.  A drop in oestrogen levels which may cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains.  X-rays of the affected joint/s can show the degree of natural wear and tear.

Rheumatoid arthritis affects joints with inflammation [can't remember causation  :-\] and can present in red, hot, swollen joints.  As can gout  :o.
Blood tests are the way to go.

Fibromyalgia - there are several members who have knowledge so hopefully will be along during the day. 

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »

Thankyou CLKD makes sense, now just to fathom out which it is, but hopefully GP will run the tests soon.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »

Let us know the results?  In the meantime, have you tried over the counter pain relief, I find Nurofen useful.

Snoooze

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »

Hi Cassie,
I've had similar.  Mine started in my knee. Had the blood tests and was tested for RA which was negative.
Was low in Vit D so once I took the supplements a lot of my joint pain went but did go and see physio about problems in my fingers, neck etc. He diagnosed tight muscles and gave me exercises.
I would say my joint problems have been going on around 5 years now through Peri.
Had a very achy right hip for a long time. I self diagnosed my finger problems as ulnar nerve entrapment. I do spend a lot of time on my phone or laptop and I lean on my elbow a lot.
Recent problem in my shoulder again diagnosed as tight muscle.
I'm not a very active person so no doubt I don't help myself but find even if I do make the effort it seems to make it worse.
GP said it could be osteoarthritis but seems very common and they just tell you to stay active. Physio told me it's not osteoarthritis but I would end up with it if I didn't make changes!
I used to think I had fibromyalgia as I definitely had some of the sore pressure points but GP and physio made no mention of it.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

Hi Cassie. I can relate to your symptoms. Was told I had fibromyalgia, but all the symptoms have gone now I'm on the right type and dose of hrt. The symptoms in my case were caused by low oestrogen x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »

Thanks ladies, really hoping its rather something like that than RA which is a horrible disease to have. Will keep you posted. CLKD not taking anything @ the mo as I am not that uncomfortable, knees just feel achy and a bit creaky when I climb the stairs and I feel it when bending my fingers ::)

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:39 AM »

I have to say that if I am inactive, just for a couple of days, I get bad muscle stiffness and soreness.

We're getting old ladies.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »

;D. speak for yourself  :D

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

;D. speak for yourself  :D

Well today I have muscle aches from too much walking. Can't win really.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

:na:   sure it's not that chocolate ;-) ?