Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Bloating, Water retention, Weight gain  (Read 2047 times)

Fairywoods

Bloating, Water retention, Weight gain
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:59:04 PM »

Hi,

I'm 52, late perimenopausal and I've been taking HRT for 3 months (Oestrogel/Utrogestan) and I am definitely bloated and have gained weight.  Especially my legs and knees!  I wanted to lose a stone this year but I've put on a good 4 or 5 pounds since taking HRT.  It's probably just my age but I do wonder if the HRT is causing water retention?  The other thing is my knees ache, which could be unrelated but I didn't have achy knees before HRT.  It's hard to know whether this would have happened anyway and it could just be a coincidence.

I seem hungrier since HRT too.  I stopped drinking completely when I started HRT as alcohol really disrupts my sleep and I wanted to lose weight.  Feeling fed up as I've got fatter even though I've been eating healthily most of the time.  Think a drastic, strict diet will be the only answer.

Anyone experienced the same?  Any tips to shift the weight?

Thanks  :)

solidgrounds

Re: Bloating, Water retention, Weight gain
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »

I have found Evorel patches the best form of estradiol for me so far - with the fewest side-effects? Still not providing as good outcomes as I would like, though!
I couldn't tolerate Estradot at all and had awful bloating and fluid retention whilst using those (not a good match for me at all!).
I really like Estrogel and this seems to provide the best results BUT there is definitely more bloating and fluid retention as well and as the day progresses....which is so frustrating indeed. Otherwise, I like Estrogel but not sure if sustainable due to above reasons.
I use Utrogestan 100mg vaginally - unable to tolerate this orally.
My body shape has changed in my 50s - and the weight distribution changes so there is more fat laid down across our middles.
I generally weigh less than I used to do and the Evorel patches certainly help with all this - but with the changes in physique, clothes tend to feel tighter than they used to?
Hope this helps a little :)
Certainly very frustrating times for us and it isn't always easy finding the "right" individual regimes, especially when very sensitive to meds and supplements and so on!