Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Duvet Togs ??  (Read 3788 times)

Wrensong

Re: Duvet Togs ??
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »

Like Dotty we have a 1 tog for summer which we bought from Dunelm quite a few years ago & sleep with windows open.    In fact we have 2 x 1 tog to use one on top of the other on cooler summer nights when OH can't stand the 1-tog alone!  Have an oscillating fan on during the evening with all upstairs windows & doors open for through draft & this stays on for a while when we first go to bed as the bedroom is like a greenhouse in summer, despite blackout blinds & thick curtains being shut all day to keep temp down. 

In Winter we have a 2.5 tog feather job.  Very lightweight, fluffy & my favourite for the luxurious feel of it.  Whatever the tog, all have to come off (my side) several times a night, winter & summer due to overheating, still ongoing in my 14th year of symptoms.  Have tried with just a sheet in summer but I need more weight than that in order to fall asleep.  OH puts thick dressing gown on top of his side of the duvet most of the year!  Prior to menopause, in winter we used a 13.5 tog & 15 tog one on top of the other & one or the other the rest of the year!!  We have a vast collection now - 2.5 tog, 3 tog 4.5 tog, 9 tog - all bought during peri, the latter 3 not used for the last decade or more!

Dotty

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »

Hi my quilt is definitely a 1 tog.  Like Wrensong I have a cupboard full of quilts....13, 10, 4.5 and 2.  Our house is  anew build and is very arm upstairs but the 1 tog is fine for both of us.  I have tried to put on the 2.5 in the winter but it's too heavy.  x

jaypo

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »

I read that as Iain Stella 😆😂🤣😂😆

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »

Stella, the question I struggle with when I wake too hot, is get out of bed to cool down or not?  The sheet & mattress cover beneath me are like a storage heater, so even with the duvet off the bed takes an age to cool down.  I shift a bit so part of me is on a cooler spot (SKS bed & both of us skinny so room for manoeuvre) but then that heats up as well.  Get up & go downstairs & there's usually no hope of getting back to sleep when I come back up, so I tend to stay put, count sheep, do a body scan (yeah, all parts still present & correct but hot enough to fry an egg) & hope! 

I keep a pile of refrigerated hot water bottles beside the bed in summer - they live on bottom shelf of fridge all day - then drag one or two in & place against thighs (my hottest bits), until they warm up with body heat.  The cool is bliss for a while & can be enough to get me back to sleep, though can also be a shock to the system if you wake very early & the bottles have not yet lost the very fridge-cold edge  :o!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 04:10:37 PM »

We Ditched the Duvet 20+ years ago because it isn't allow my body to breath.

Sheets, blankets, electric blanket ..........

Foxylady

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »

Spent a fortune on wool duvet, pillows, matress topper etc from the woolroom (it is pricey but they regularly have money off deals) it made a difference, helps control temperature better than 'normal' ones. Still have windows open even during the winter and sleep with feet out from the duvet (I also like a duvet over me although it tends to be off and on throughout the night). Spend alot of time tossing & turning, looking for any cold/cooler spots in the bed >:(

Wrensong

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »

For anyone having trouble sourcing a lightweight duvet, the Scotts of Stow catalogue has just plopped through the letterbox showing they stock summer weight synthetic duvets that start @ 1.5 tog, from singles to to SKS.  Maybe check their website if interested.

The 1 tog we bought some years ago from Dunelm was made by Fogarty, if that helps anyone.

Probably not of much interest if you all have the cold, wet weather we've had here for days, but I remember it took us ages to find anyone selling a 1 tog.

littleminnie

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »

Just bought a 1 tog from M&S

Wrensong

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »

Great to know M&S are doing them again - they were supposedly stocking 1 togs the year we bought ours from Dunlelm.  Went to Dunelm as M&S had sold out by the time we went there.  Had to ring 4 Dunelm stores in 3 counties to find one that had any in SKS & drive to the other side of the county to get one of those.  Nearly barged out of the way by a stampede of other menopausal women!  Not that menopause makes you desperate or anything  ;D 

So relieved to finally get one, bought 2 in case one wore out!  Then used the 2 together in Winter.  Still in use around a decade on from when we bought them & wished we'd had them from the start of peri which was a good few years before that.  The weight makes them easier to sleep under than just a sheet, I think.

littleminnie

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »

Much better than a sheet.  We have problems with a sheet, one of us ends up being wrapped like a mummy and the other has nothing.

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »

Has anyone seen rhod Gilbert,the comedian doing a skit about duvet togs?its hilarious,you should look it up on YouTube
Pages: 1 [2]