Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I'm new and have perimenopause and utrogestan questions  (Read 1071 times)

miffy

I'm new and have perimenopause and utrogestan questions
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm perimenopausal. I'm nearly 49, have relatively irregular periods which can be heavy. I get night sweats sometimes and am very exhausted a lot of the time. I sleep poorly - trouble getting to sleep and waking early. My mood swings around. My hair has definitely started thinning.

I have suffered from depression for many years but manage this pretty well with anti depressants and meditation.

I rarely drink alcohol or coffee and take pretty regular exercise.

My doctor suggested I try Utrogestan 200mg for days 14 to 27 of my cycle to help with my perimenopausal symptoms. Has anyone else taken just Utogestan for perimenopausal symptoms?

Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I'm new and have perimenopause and utrogestan questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:12:43 PM »

Hi!  Maybe put the product name into the search box to see what pops up.   Make notes  ;)

How is the depression?  It can be worse during menopause as hormones bounce around  >:(  ::)

Hurdity

Re: I'm new and have perimenopause and utrogestan questions
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:13:27 PM »

Hi miffy

Utrogestan would not usually be prescribed alone for peri-menopausal symptoms although it may well help with your bleeding if you are having heavy irregular periods - as it will bring on a monthly bleed instead of having to skip a cycle - although you may still bleed a lot at first if your womb lining has thickened in cycles where you haven't ovulated?

If you are having night sweats as well a low dose oestrogen (to start with) eg a patch would ideally also be given which would help with the sweats as well and maybe even out your mood swings. Alternatively you could try a combi pill like Femoston 1/10?

As you are still under 50 (just) there are some contraceptive pills which are similar to  HRT (the oestrogen) and would help with the bleeding and the mood sWings - called QLAIRA and ZOELY.

Hope this helps a little.

Hurdity x