Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel Dosing with Menstrual Cycle  (Read 658 times)

Bobidy

Oestrogel Dosing with Menstrual Cycle
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »

Hi

Just a bit of advice please.

I'm still having regular periods (albeit closer together and heavier). I have fibroids and polyps, and have been anemic on and off for 7 years with it all.

For 18 months I've started with various peri symptoms despite the periods. I've been prescribed Oestrogel to help to combat these, to start after my hysterectomy (leaving ovaries) due next month.

My question is, as I am having a regularish cycle and track this on a monthly basis do you think my dosing of Oestrogel should be increased or decreased depending on where I would be within my cycle? Obviously I won't have the periods any more but Oestrogen levels are lower and higher at certain times of the month. For me it seems to be big spikes and dips that are causing the symptoms and I want to try and even this out a bit with the Oestrogel.

Dr Newson has recommended dosing according to my symptoms that day but I wondered if I could take a more measured approach than that until my ovaries pack up completely.

There are apps that track the cycle so I wondered about using one of those.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: Oestrogel Dosing with Menstrual Cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »

Hi Bobidy

I'm the same as you - had a hysterectomy but kept ovaries. 

My periods stopped to 6 to 7 months at a time and had done so since 2010 so I wasnt getting a regular cycle though.

I take 2 pumps in a morning and 2 at night - but I get really severe mood issues for 10 days.  This is also what I am trying to avoid going forward and have been told to increase to 6 pumps!

I think I will try to use an app to see what's happening with my cycle - so thanks for that idea.

My thought would be that if you had one pump every day - for a month or two, then compared it to you app - you might be able to gauge when you need more gel going forward.