Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Conscious Consumption  (Read 6612 times)

Pennyfarthing

Conscious Consumption
« on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:57 PM »

Just been reading that the new fashion fad is  “conscious consumption”.  This means only buying stuff that doesn't date and is good quality so will last.  i've got news for them - I've been doing this for years! 😂😂

I have always bought the best clothes and shoes I can afford and have often bought things in charity shops because they are top quality.  I bought some tweed trousers from a charity shop once and they were lined at the top and fitted beautifully.  i wore them for many winters and they always looked good.

obviously I buy new clothes too but they are always good quality.  I like Hobbs, Gudrun Sjoden, Seasalt and Adini.  I think you can update anything very quickly and cheaply with things like a scarf or some jewellery. 

When I was about 15 I worked for a couple at weekends who owned a couple of gift shops and a posh ladieswear shop.  The stuff was all high quality and very expensive and sometimes I got asked to help in the ladieswear shop.  My eyes watered at the prices but you could just feel the fabrics were luxurious so maybe I acquired my tastes then.   Apart from my school uniform my clothes came from jumble sales and handmedowns from wealthier cousins.

Shadyglade

Re: Conscious Consumption
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »

I have heard that that average most items stay in a women's wardrobe is 5 weeks. All due to the buy cheap and throw it away mindset. That is appalling. I wear most of mine for at least three or four years. Usually I only chuck when an item is worn out or I am totally sick of it.

I too buy quality but usually only from the sale rails. Sometimes it means waiting a bit, but it's worth it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »

I have clothing from years ago.  I also have hats with brooches on and coats in the Winter and layered cardies as it gets warmer.  I rarely buy shoes unless mine are falling apart. 

My problem is that I think I am 2" taller than I actually am  :D.  I have to buy jeans 27" long ......... size 10 or 12 dependant on the make.  Which last for years: best, shopping, B4 they get used for gardening and then handed to a group of needlewomen who use denim for handbags etc..

Anyone remember jumble sales  ;D - nowt was wasted.  Recycling B4 it was the 'in word'  ::).  Hand-me-downs?  Of course material was better quality to begin with and a lot of winter clothing was home knitted woolies. 

My go-to is Cotton Traders as I can fit on at home.  As well as charity shops.  This recent 'consciousness' is due to people realising that things end up in landfill including plastics. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »

I've got clothes that are years old.
I buy what I like, either expensive or cheaper, doesn't matter to me, if I like it, and I can afford it, I buy it.
I treat clothes like they've all cost me a fortune, even if it's from a charity shop!
I think if you look after what you've got, even shoes, bags, whatever, they'll last...
My wardrobe is full at the bottom, of clothes that I don't wear much, one day I'll chuck em out, but sometimes I find stuff and say oh, I'll wear that today...🙂
I remember jumble sales, my mom loved em. I hated them when I was a child, she bought all her stuff from them, NEVER bought anything new for herself, only when there was a wedding to go to...😉

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »

There was an article over the weekend about how often to wash clothing, from undies upwards.  I wash my stuff when it's dirty apart from undies which are clean on daily.  Of course, I can't remember where I read the article  ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:00:45 PM by CLKD »

Countrygirl

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:32:40 PM »

I loved going to jumble sales as a kid as bought books and comics. I now love going to car boot sales and have bought some lovely designer clothes, shoes and bags over the years along with the normal day to day clothes that I find. So much of it has never been worn and occasionally it still has the tags on plus the advantage is I buy it because I like it  x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »

I have Summer clothes still waiting to be worn - when it's warm enough for enough days so that I am tempted to shave my legs  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 08:01:50 PM »

I loved going to jumble sales as a kid as bought books and comics. I now love going to car boot sales and have bought some lovely designer clothes, shoes and bags over the years along with the normal day to day clothes that I find. So much of it has never been worn and occasionally it still has the tags on plus the advantage is I buy it because I like it  x

I bought all my books at jumble sales when I was young. I once got a whole big box full of hardback Secret Seven and Famous Five books and thought I had died and gone to heaven.  If you hung around at the end the organisers gave you stuff for nothing!   When I cleared my Mum's home a couple of years ago just about all the books had come from jumble sales except for cookery books and Daniel O'Donnell books.

There used to be loads of jumble sales and auctions when I was young and I would go with Mum.  One that sticks in my mind was where men were outside smashing up beautiful pianos with sledgehammers
because nobody wanted them as people were getting record players and radios.  I was really sad and asked Mum if we could have one rather than it being smashed up but she said we had no room for it and anyway nobody in our house could play the piano.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »

I had a piano stool,But no piano! 🤣🤣🤣
Don't know where it came from, but I remember leaning forward on it, so my belly area was on top of the seat and running round in a circle with it...😁😄 it just used to go up, then down, and so on....it was red leather, and a bit rusty..😃😃
Think my mom threw it out because of the noise it made. Lol

My mom bought me books from jumble sales, and the odd toy here n there.
I love having a mooch around second hand shops now, think I've inherited that from her..😀

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »

We spend hours each week in charity/antique shops  ;).  Sometimes we leave empty handed  ;D

Conscious consumption - when I first read the title of the thread I thought it was about having thoughtful food stuffs in the fridge  :rofl: and I immediately thought of chocolate yoghurts and egg custards  :-X  :bbq:

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »

I still have most of my "smart" work stuff in case I get the opportunity to do a job which requires it again, although I'll have to shed a few pounds to get into it  :'(
I have thought about getting rid of it but it would cost a fortune to replace it as I got most of it in the sales, and looking at similar stuff these days the quality isn't as good as it used to be.
If I don't get a job where it's needed soon I may just wear it for walking the dog  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »

I think it's fine to buy from 'primark' etc. as long as their clothing isn't made using child labour.  Most clothing can be paired with jewellery etc., charity shops are great for finding statement pieces.  I see lots of jackets for example which would really tart up an outfit but I don't suit jackets  ::)

Many++ years ago I stopped a girl about my age to tell her how lovely she looked, she didn't look as though she had thrown her outfit together: but she backed off  :-\ so I never did it again ........  :(

Unless I'm in a shop then I will start a conversation  ;) ........ due to anxiety I rarely fit on in shops, hence catalogue shopping.  Hotters shoes for me as their shops are airey and rarely busy.   ;).  Same design in lots of bright colours ........ they even wash up OK in the washing machine. [long story short].

My sister apparently HATED hand-me downs  :D but now buys from Charity shops  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »

It would be wonderful if everyone could afford to buy really good quality clothes, but unfortunately for a lot of people the reality is very different. Young people struggling on minimum wage, young mums, those with crippling rent or mortgages. They buy what they can afford and some times it's Primark.
It's the real world I'm afraid and for those trying to clothe children then it's a case of needs must.

They don't want second hand clothes and I  can't say I blame them really. School uniforms alone cost so much and supermarkets make things affordable. Yes they don't last as long but at least the children get to turn up on the first day with new things on.

Oh to live in an ideal world.

I have always preferred having a few good quality items than a wardrobe full of cheap tat.  those good quality items might be from a charity shop but I'd still rather have them than cheap fabric that doesn't hang right with bad seams and wonky zips. 

My friend is very comfortably off with no kids so all her money is her own but she always buys really cheap stuff and is forever throwing stuff out because it either shrinks or goes bobbly.  Same with shoes she gasps when I buy new shoes or boots as she buys very cheap ones but gets through countless pairs in a year whereas mine last years.  I am wearing Moshulu boots which are now three years old and as good as new and they cost me £130 and are blissfully comfy.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »

£130.00 isn't expensive for foot wear.  As an aside I see that Doc Martens are investing in their factories  8)

I also wonder about those walking on the red carpet - what do some of them think they look like  :o and the walk-ways showing Spring/Summer or Autumn/Winter haute couture really are not practical  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:07:27 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »

£130.00 isn't expensive for foot wear.  As an aside I see that Doc Martens are investing in their factories  8)

I also wonder about those walking on the red carpet - what do some of them think they look like  :o and the walk-ways showing Spring/Summer or Autumn/Winter haute couture really are not practical  ;D

My friend would disagree with you!  😂😂.   They are expensive compared to her £25 boots.😉
Pages: [1] 2 3