Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Thinning hair  (Read 3690 times)

england43

Thinning hair
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »

:'(

Ive just turned 64 and ive been having menopause prbs for a long time but still get hot flushes but my hair seems to be thinning quite quickly i did notice it a long time ago. can anyone help me im so upset about this i dont want to lose my hair.

Please help with any suggestions thanks

Louise

Autumn27

Re: Thinning hair
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »

You could see a trichologist for the best advice. Check out the Philip Kingsley clinics, they have a website.

If it's female pattern balding, then you could start applying Regaine, it really works, but you must continue it daily for the rest of your life to maintain the new hair, so you need to be prepared for that.

It could be temporary alopecia. It could be hormonal. Try not to worry, it can be prevented.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »

Oh England that's such a shame.like autumn says,regains is very good and does work,it's quite expensive though,do you take any vits for hair and nails?ive heard the collagen drinks are very good too but yet again expensive,good luck

england43

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:24:42 PM »

Thank you so much Ill try those I did try regain but yes its tedious to apply. ill try philip kingsley.

thank you
Louise

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:22:12 AM »

There is another good one called Hairfix from a well know internet shopping channel. ;)  the gel is the stuff you want. You can try it for 90 days to see if it works for you and if it doesn't you can return for a full money back refund - no catch - I buy there all the time!  They want you to use anything you buy so everything on the site comes automatically with a 30 day money back guarantee but some products take longer to work so they extend the guarantee.  Yes it an be expensive but you are never left with something that doesn't work - just send it back!!  All it costs you is the postage.  What's to lose really?

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »

Hello ladybt 👋👋  where have you been hiding 😊 don't suppose you've tried it have you? My daughter has spurts of hair loss,she has an ibd & I think it's something to do with that,she can't afford regaine etc,I've looked it up and it's got fairly good reviews xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »

Hi Jaypo been very very busy and it's progesterone time!  Urgh!!!  Just finishing up some Plantur tonic.  (stellajane mentioned the plantur shampoo). That particular place has a  "today's deal lauched at midnight" everyday. Hairfix is next on my shopping list when the "deal" comes up. Not coming in March I have checked the schedule but there will be one at some point. I can wait  ;)the moneyback always remains the same.

The Plantur tonic has worked to a certain extent bringing back wispy bits in the receding hairline but I don't think it is strong enough to anchor the new hair enough. You are supposed to use it regularly but I find if I put it towards the crown or down the sides over the ears it makes my head itch a bit when I have used it continuously for a couple of weeks  so I have to stop and remember to start again!  Been doing it for about 6 months.  It does work but if you are already suffering from some other symptoms you need to be feeling tough to add in 2 weeks of itchy head to the mix!!  :)

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

Touch wood I don't have any hair thinning problems but I do know that some vitamins can help. 

After a quick check online Biotin seems to come up a lot. It's a B vitamin.

Turkish delight

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »

Hia!

I'm guessing that you wasn't left with low iron stores when your periods stopped? Did you have heavy bleeds at the end of your periods?

I am prone to hair loss mainly on the crown. Find it embarrassing if I'm in a queue with ppl behind me or on an escalator going down worried that they're laughing at my bald patch lol. That's till I found "Caboki" It's magnetic hair fibres you shake on and it totally covers a ton of gaps in my hair all over. It's cheap and I get mine from eBay. Have a look-see. A link under here!

https://youtu.be/gJgS6IJIwro

See you're certainly not alone, we feel your pain too.

TD

Turkish delight

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »

SJ Your not wrong!

We are invisible, something me and bald spot are quite happy about.

That's what I keep telling my ego anyway tehe!

Gone are the days of my full luscious locks, they've been replaced by gaps and a beard  :lol:

TD

Rosie63

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 04:51:22 PM »

Hi england43. I'm the same age as you and I started to shed my hair when I was 50, just about the same time I started going through the change. Mine has thinned on the crown and my fringe has definitely thinned.  I can't really add much more to what the other ladies have said here but I do think that I shed more when my oestrogen levels are low or when I stress about it.  My hair does still grow but the actual hairs are thinner than when I was younger so I guess it takes more hair to cover the thinning patches 😏

Rosie63x

sjpercy3

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »

My hair has been thinning for 3 years and it was my first menopause symptom. Are you on HRT? I find that HRT improves the texture but makes it shed like crazy. It also makes my hair darker. I use Minoxidil which helps a little and wouldn't be without extensions.

My private consultant has said that my low ferritin levels won't help and suggested that my levels need to be in the 100s, but that's easier said than done...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:03:32 AM by sjpercy3 »

DebsMK

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »

About 2 years ago my hair literally fell out in clumps, I dreaded taking a shower.  I visited the GP who prescribed an anti-dandruff shampoo and scalp lotion.  Neither of these worked so I purchased some minoxidil from Costco, which is still in the drawer as I'm a bit worried about using it due to the hair loss at first use statement!  I did however start investing in vitamins.  I take Perfectil Plus Hair, Biotin, Omega 3 and B12 (I am deficient).  I have seen a significant growth in the thinning areas but it is not back to how it was.  It may be worth trying vitamins before committing to Minoxidil?

DebsMK

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »

Hi Birdy!  Yes I had full blood tests and everything was fine except low B12.

Jo24

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »

I fully understand having also developed this problem during meno, which was worsened by anxiety, and stress last year.
I can highly recommend Hair Burst capsules (from Boots) - the capsules (not chewy, jelly ones); they have helped tremendously, but you need to be patient with them, it has taken months, and months to see an improvement.
Take them religiously every day ....